PDA

View Full Version : Distant visitor

Ákos Lumnitzer
09-08-2015, 05:55 PM
This Grey-headed Lapwing (Vanellus cinereus) turned up at a lake complex a couple of kilometers from where I live. So Sunday morning, after I spent a couple of hours with my nesting sea eagles, I dropped in to see it. Weather was horrible and it was not around.
Monday arvo (Aussie slang for afternoon) I headed back and lucky for me, got to share the photography with only one other person. A band of twitchers were looking through a fence, as the lakes complex was closed to the public and the kind security guard
had been letting some folks in.
So this chap and I had the beauty to us for nearly two hours.

No prone or foot approach was possible, as the bird was super skittish. A car was used to get close, and a golf buggy when I flagged down a worker on the site and sweet talked him into taking us closer. :bg3:

Apparently this is only the third or fourth record in Australia.

5D, 500/4+1.4x, manual mode, HH
ISO 1600 f/7.1, 1/1600th
Minimal PP in ACR during conversion.

gail bisson
09-08-2015, 06:00 PM
What beautiful light! Gorgeous subject and lovely stepping out pose.
Nice that you had so much success in approaching this rarity!
Gail

Bill Dix
09-08-2015, 07:06 PM
Nice light, good pose, and under the circumstances you did a masterful job in getting the shot. Congratulations.

WillieHall
09-08-2015, 10:28 PM
thanks for sharing this rarity in all its glory.....you nailed it.

Daniel Cadieux
09-09-2015, 06:30 AM
And a beauty it is!! Great story detail the work and sweet-talking to get near this fella:S3:. Excellent details, and I love the raised foot adding a bit more dynamics to the image.

Grace Scalzo
09-09-2015, 08:09 AM
Excellent technique managing the situation and the people to get such a nice image of this rarity. I like the walking pose. You have as much space on the bottom as on the top and I usually like to vary that in my compositions. Personally for me, less on the bottom and more on top, but personal taste only ! Congrats on this one.

dankearl
09-09-2015, 12:50 PM
The bird looks killer, very nice details.
The bg is what it is, a very nice record shot.

William Dickson
09-09-2015, 02:22 PM
Beautiful looking image Akos. Great pose on a lovely looking bird, and well captured. Great work and thanks for sharing

Will

Karl Egressy
09-09-2015, 06:47 PM
Great finding, truly beautiful bird and great looking image of it, Akos. IQ is really good.

Sidharth Kodikal
09-11-2015, 12:17 AM
Terrific light and details, Akos, and enjoyed reading the back story. Thanks for sharing.

David Salem
09-11-2015, 01:47 AM
I agree, the light, the pose and the details are awesome. Well done

christopher galeski
09-12-2015, 12:32 AM
Great shot,good IQ,like the pose with the raised foot.well done.

Satish Ranadive
09-12-2015, 01:20 AM
Excellent image. Beautiful colours, great details and nice composition. Nice information.
Love the pose with raised foot.

Regards,
Satish.

Stu Bowie
09-13-2015, 02:12 AM
Hi Akos, what exquisite light here, and you certainly nailed a great pose with the raised leg. Nice and sharp, and the colours all blend well together.

Congrats on getting the species and shot.