PDA

View Full Version : Morning Storm

Don Lacy
09-07-2015, 06:27 PM
This was taken on Hutchinson Island at the last remaining House Of Refuge in Florida https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houses_of_Refuge_in_Florida as an early morning thunderhead greats a new day.
I am really happy with the tonal values and look of this image I feel I have a better understanding and vision in using the new techniques I have learned with luminosity mask. Now its time to learn the light bleed technique used by Ryan Dyer and Marc Adamus and more advance hand blending methods I really do love the creative challenges of Landscape photography, my poor 500 f/4 sits in the closet most of the year now :-(

Two image blend shot with a Canon 6D and 16-35 f/4, f/16 at 6s fore the foreground image and f/16 at 1.6s for the sky, Manual Mode, Evaluative Metered, ISO 200, Tripod, hand blended and tonal tweaks using luminosity mask.

Andrew McLachlan
09-07-2015, 07:09 PM
Very nice comp Don...the arrangement of the foreground rocks is perfect and I love the low hanging clouds on the horizon...very nicely done...TFS :)

dankearl
09-07-2015, 11:01 PM
This is really nice work Don, stunning comp and colors.....

Don Railton
09-07-2015, 11:17 PM
Beautiful Don.. I love the glow over the FG rocks and those clouds right on the horizon... Shutter is about spot on for me too.. This is being extremely picky, but I can see the faintest of halo's on the LHS rocks which finishes at the edge of the water..

DON

Tobie Schalkwyk
09-08-2015, 12:39 AM
I also love the tonality achieved here, Don! And the soft reflection of the light on the rocks!

I don't edit all my shots in PS (LR is mostly sufficient), but if I do then it's all about luminosity masks - such a fantastic feature! I have not taken lots of landscapes either (I might do more so now that I have a 14mm lens) but I've quickly learned that the levels adjustment in LM's makes such a huge difference for landscapes!

Nice shot, well done!

Morkel Erasmus
09-08-2015, 04:44 PM
Don...
The best image you've posted here. Ever.
The subtlety of the light, the magical colours and mood and the strong composition make this a wall hanger in my eyes.
:5 :cheers:

Diane Miller
09-12-2015, 10:34 PM
Stunning, with lovely light! The brightest parts of the sky seem just a bit thin -- wonder if you have tried different tonal balances there?