PDA

View Full Version : heron at the dock

Hazel Grant
09-06-2015, 05:20 PM
I posted a version of this in Eager to Learn because that's what I am when it comes to birds. Followed Diane's suggestions and worked on my own to create this. Doesn't look very OOTB but it is BW. I moved the head of one shot onto this one to give a better eye contact. Blurred, contrasted, lightened some of the bushy background (this bkgd, Diane suggested) caused a problem, and I agree, but with a 4 foot wide dock, I couldn't get a different angle). I think the BW helps with the contrast problem with the bkgd. Taken at near sunset. Anyway, here it is. One of my few birds. 1/400, f5.6, ISO 400

Anita Bower
09-06-2015, 06:38 PM
I like this composition. Showing the railing of the dock against the water and blurred bg provides depth. The dark legs seem to grow out of the railing (which I like) leading my eye up to the sharp eye. The open bill/beak adds interest. I think you could brighten it a little bit. Good job!

Nancy Bell
09-08-2015, 10:43 AM
Busy backgrounds are the bane of photographing birds. It is always a struggle deciding DOF and considering the dark and light tones of the main subject against the light and dark tones of the bkgd. Plus hoping not to frighten the bird away! Blurring the bkgd is a good idea. And having the head turn towards the viewer with that open beak adds good action, even if you did transplant heads! The eye is clear and bright & the head & beak do stand out from the bkgd.

Judy Howle
09-08-2015, 10:05 PM
I really like this one! The pose of the bird with it's beak open makes for a nice composition. I like the blurred background so the bird really stands out.

Wendy Kates
09-10-2015, 04:21 PM
I really like the open beak and the overall expression of the heron. The blurred background works well too.

gary ellwein
09-10-2015, 05:06 PM
Nancy has covered some important issues of bird photography. She is spot on in emphasizing the background. Check out the Avian forum. When possible I'll chose the bg first and let the subject move into it.

Diane Miller
09-13-2015, 10:03 PM
Yes, this is a good treatment for the image! Good work!

Hazel Grant
09-14-2015, 10:13 PM
I understand that, Gary. Hard to do, though, when the bird is at the end of a dock and not moving. It was very cooperative, I must say, to stand there for so long as I slowly moved forward.