PDA

View Full Version : Boat-tailed Grackle

Joseph Przybyla
09-06-2015, 12:01 PM
I captured this image last Thursday at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. I think some viewers may wish the perch was more natural, so do I, but this is where the bird chose to be. It was trusting enough to allow me to approach close and the light was wonderful to capture the beauty of the feathers and iridescence. At a distance these birds appear black but really they are shades of iridescent purple, blue, and green. I also notices something missing when I worked up the image, the tail feathers. I think this bird is at the end of the molt and has yet to grow them back. This is a subspecies found in Florida that has brown eyes rather then the normal yellow eyes. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED shot at 400mm (600mm FFE)
1/2000 F/5.6 Matrix Metering 0 EV ISO 450 AWB
Post processed in Lightroom 6 and Photoshop Elements 10
Cropped for composition and presentation

Gerald Kelberg
09-06-2015, 02:00 PM
Hi Joe,
Fence post perch doesn't bother me in the slightest. Love the iridescent colours and the composition has a very nice balance.
Another fine image!

Gerald

Karl Egressy
09-06-2015, 04:05 PM
Great feather details and beautiful colors captured, Joe.

Geoffrey Montagu
09-06-2015, 05:34 PM
Excellent capture, Joseph. You've done such a nice job with the iridescence of the wings, and what a great head turn. The blacks can easily get blocked up on these birds, but you've carried all the detail. Nice clear view of the feet, eye and strong beak. Well done.

Geoffrey

gail bisson
09-06-2015, 06:26 PM
The exposure is perfect.
You have nailed the iridescence perfectly.
Great pose as well.
Gail

Daniel Cadieux
09-06-2015, 07:08 PM
Yes, grackles are very pretty birds when looked at in good light. Odd seeing one without a tail! You've shown the plumage very well here. I understand your point about the perch...

William Dickson
09-07-2015, 04:02 PM
Fantastic light and feather details Joe. The colours look real good. Perfect exposure.

Will

Hazel Grant
09-07-2015, 07:17 PM
jealous!!!! We see them a lot here but they keep flitting about and won't be still....and they show up just black most of the time as you said. Great capture of their beauty.

Ákos Lumnitzer
09-08-2015, 06:06 PM
I'd try a vertical comp.
Nice iridescence mate. I absolutely love it.
Good HA as well.
TFS