PDA

View Full Version : Common wasp

Jonathan Ashton
09-06-2015, 04:11 AM
Tripod Canon 1DX Canon 180mm & 1.4 TC III Manual focus ISO 2500 1/250 sec f16 Fill in ring flash -0.3
Image captured in low light on a dull day. I found this to be more tricky than I imagined. It was easy enough getting close using the TC but to get accurate focus was a different issue. So many were more or less sharp but not quite. I wanted to capture the mouth parts but when the jaws were open the scene looked too messy and it was difficult to discern the mouth parts and the edges of the bud. I settled for this, he didn't look quite so fearsome as they often do, in fact we spent some time together and became pals:bg3:
All C&C welcome.

Nancy Bell
09-08-2015, 11:12 AM
Great head-on view showing the great black & yellow markings and the those massive mandibles! And I like those diffuse hairs standing up behind the head. I find these wasps usually very busy and I think it is great that you had the patience to wait and capture one at a moment of calm. Here they are picnic pests and will never leave you if they find bits of meat to steal!

Jonathan Ashton
09-08-2015, 12:44 PM
Great head-on view showing the great black & yellow markings and the those massive mandibles! And I like those diffuse hairs standing up behind the head. I find these wasps usually very busy and I think it is great that you had the patience to wait and capture one at a moment of calm. Here they are picnic pests and will never leave you if they find bits of meat to steal!

Nancy they are just the same over here! Good description picnic pest!

Steve Maxson
09-09-2015, 05:19 PM
Very nice head-on shot in soft light - and nice use of the flash. One does not usually realize how fuzzy these wasps are until you photograph them like this. Very well done!