Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 500 f4.0 L IS II.
ISO 1600
1/1600 s
f 5.6
HH

Loi Nguyen
09-06-2015, 06:25 PM
Hi Karl, Good capture, looks like light was at a premium, but you got the head, body, and fish sharp. The bG is a bit distracting and noisy. Did you do selective NR? With hindsight, may be F4 and 1/3200 would have been better. Loi

Daniel Cadieux
09-06-2015, 07:06 PM
Good wing position, great prey item. I too would have been tempted to photograph at a wide open aperture here.

Karl Egressy
09-07-2015, 07:32 AM
Hi Karl, Good capture, looks like light was at a premium, but you got the head, body, and fish sharp. The bG is a bit distracting and noisy. Did you do selective NR? With hindsight, may be F4 and 1/3200 would have been better. Loi
Thanks, Daniel.
I'll have to reconsider back focusing while shooting BIF. I had to make adjustment on the "fly" and my thumb was busy focusing, so I turned the shutter dial down instead.
I might switch the two dials around to confuse myself.:w3

David Salem
09-08-2015, 02:00 PM
Nice capture Karl. I like the pose and the good look at the fish.
This is the exact reason that I promote the use of the shutter button for BIF shots.
Set your back dial to control your shutter speed and your top dial to control the aperture.
This way you can focus and adjust your exposure on the fly.Use your thumb to dial the ss up or down as a bird comes into range.
This way if a Skimmer Flys by right after a Tern, you can adjust a few clicks with your thumb and expose proporly on the fly, even while shooting.
I teach this to my workshop clients and I have been shooting this way for years.
Hope this helps.

Ákos Lumnitzer
09-08-2015, 06:05 PM
I agree with shooting wide open Karl.
I have now reset my AF to use shutter for BIF all the time.
I only use back focus for other work. NEVER FOR FLIGHT

Nice image though, as mentioned, a little noise in the BG is evident, a faster SS would've frozen the wing better IMO.
Well done in any case mate.
TFS