PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Canyon Waterfall

Wendy Kates
09-05-2015, 03:16 PM
This image was taken in Letchworth State Park, in upstate New York. Letchworth is considered by some to be "The Grand Canyon of the East". It is about 2.5 hours from our home, and we went for the day, so by the time we arrived the light was harsh, so I couldn't get as much detail out of the falls as I had hoped (despite the fact that I bracketed, used a slow shutter speed, etc). But I like the mist against the canyon wall, so I'm posting it even though it isn't perfect. (I would have liked a train on the railroad bridge too, but no such luck!) I tweaked it in Nik CEP. Comments / critiques welcome.

Anita Bower
09-06-2015, 07:28 AM
I first noticed the lovely mist floating up on the left. Your angle of view is quite pleasing, with the wide river in the foreground, framed by the rounded cliffs and greenery on each side and the bridge above. I think you did a good job for harsh light.

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
09-07-2015, 12:15 AM
Wendy,

Greetings. I like how the composition repeats the sky pattern with the falls somewhat in miniature. Tones are difficult though with the almost bi-modal dynamic range. I'm fond of SEP for tonal adjustments then blending back color by blending in luminescence mode. While the option space in CEP a little to wide for my taste. Anyway a different take on the tonal distribution...

Just a thought.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Wendy Kates
09-07-2015, 07:22 AM
Hi Michael,
I'm not perceiving much difference between the OP and the RP. Would it be possible to point the differences out more specifically?
Thanks,
Wendy

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
09-07-2015, 10:55 AM
Wendy,

Subtle differences. You would have to put them both up on the screen (in separate windows) and look back and forth. The sky has the most contrast difference. Detail contrast on left and right foliage... very little in the falls (but I think if working from full sized tiff more is possible).

By the way, I rather liked the look of this image in monochrome.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Nancy Bell
09-08-2015, 11:01 AM
I think the mist is a fantastic component of this image and adds extra interest! You choose a good angle to create that U-shape of the sky and the balancing U-shape in the water below the falls. I'm glad that the bridge is just dark straight lines and angles and allows most of the sky to be seen through it. So you need to pitch a tent and stay overnight to get that early morning light :S3:!

gary ellwein
09-10-2015, 03:58 PM
Wendy, I like the composition. The setting looks appropriate for the filming of The Last of the Mohicans. Michael, thanks for the comments on using SEP for tonal adjustments. I have used it on a few images and like the results.

Wendy Kates
09-10-2015, 04:19 PM
Thanks, all, for your input. Michael...I tried it in black and white and agree that it looks good as well!

Judy Howle
09-12-2015, 11:34 AM
Lovely view of the canyon and falls!

Diane Miller
09-13-2015, 10:12 PM
Subtle but nice change in Michael's post. Bringing out tonal detail in the sky helped balance things. A lovely-looking place!