PDA

View Full Version : Theme Showing Off!

gail bisson
09-05-2015, 11:13 AM
This little guy is 4 days old. He was practicing his wing flaps and seemed to be trying to impress mama but she was not interested in his antics at all.
I wasn't going to share this image because there are a couple of things that bug me about it. ( Will see if the same things bug you guys!) But I thought it was a fun image for the theme.
Canon 1DX
600mm II and 1.4X
ISO 800 SS 1/1000 F 10
Crop to 60% FF. Changed the white balance to make it slightly warmer to reflect the scene as I saw it through the viewfinder, adjusted the whites and blacks slightly in LR then off the PS for NR on the BG, cloned out 1 specular highlight to right of adult and softened the vertical brownish line to the left of the chick with the clone tool at 45%. USM to adult but left the chick as is to maintain the softness
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
Gail

dankearl
09-05-2015, 11:15 AM
Great little pose, too bad the chick is not on the other side where the Mom is looking...

arash_hazeghi
09-05-2015, 01:31 PM
love the low angle view, good techs and details. I like the chick's pose as well. in an ideal world they would be looking at each other and we would also see the chick riding on mom's back but this a nice frame

TFS

Bill Dix
09-05-2015, 03:23 PM
Lovely image with cute wing flap, great colors and details. Don't know what was bugging you, but before reading above comments I had the same thoughts: would have been great for chick to be on side mama is looking; and to see other chick's eye.

Grace Scalzo
09-06-2015, 09:07 AM
I actually go against the grain here and love the chick on the other side of the parent's gaze. Reminds me of the days when my daughter would do something when she thought that I wasn't looking. :) I wish that there was more light on the little flapper, including some brightness in his eyes. The darks in this image look too dark overall to me and I would bring them up a touch, which might liven up the little guy. The one on the back isn't adding anything, wish we could either see his face, or that he wasn't there.

David Salem
09-06-2015, 11:08 AM
I don't mind the fact that Mom isn't looking at Jr, or the shimmer in her face, but the chick on her back blows it for me. It's indistinguishable to me, even though I know what it is, and probably to most people, and it would need to be removed for it to be a strong keeper IMO.
The colors, details, exposure and Jrs pose are all killer. Nice work Gail

gail bisson
09-06-2015, 06:20 PM
Yup! You guys all got it correct.I do not like the chick on the back and the fact that Mama is looking away from the chick.
But I still love the cute little wing flap!:t3

Daniel Cadieux
09-06-2015, 07:15 PM
Too cute!! I love the greens you got here, good call warming up the WB. Both the blacks and the whites look super. I agree about the chick on the back, if only the face was visible! I do wish you had a bit more green border below the head's reflection, but certainly not a deal breaker.

Stu Bowie
09-08-2015, 02:28 PM
Hi Gail, gotta love those tiny wings from junior, slanting pose, together with the perfect eye contact too. I feel you have nailed the exposure on mom, love the green sheen on her head, as well as the reflection of the water on her head. Comp wise, I can see a version coming up from the bottom in line with the start of the whites in the reflection. ( you can do a page scroll :w3 ) Obscured chick already mentioned, but there are far more positives than the hidden chick.

Ákos Lumnitzer
09-08-2015, 05:42 PM
Had it not be for the wing flap, it would not be an outstanding shot. However, the way it's presented I quite like it.
I, too, wish for baby and mamma to be looking at each other, but you can't always have it.
Nice PP work and I do like it as presented.
TFS

Marina Scarr
11-17-2015, 01:38 PM
It seems I missed this one. I crave unique and it's nice to see something different. Love seeing the little wingflap and that fact that mom is looking away indicates the chick is gaining a bit of independence. This frame works great for me as is!