PDA

View Full Version : Theme Black Rhino-Sucking calf and mum

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
09-04-2015, 01:44 PM
To celebrate the birth of my son, here is a rare sight (at least I have not seen this interaction before) I saw in one of the private nature reserves (don't wanna name it) while on a safari. I was pleased to see the little one suckling away while the alert mom stood her ground. I some how got a feeling these were semi-captive based on the horns. Light was fading fast.
7D II
241mm (100-400 II)
1/40
f/5
ISO 1600
Hand held

Steve Kaluski
09-04-2015, 02:30 PM
Another cool image Sanjeev, lets hope your son will be able to witness such a scene in real life and NOT through Dad's images. I think Gabriela will be in awe when she is back, especially after some news she had about some local Rhino.

Would have preferred the 5D on this for the ISO & SS.

TFS
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
09-05-2015, 03:36 AM
Big congrats on the birth of your son, Sanjeev! :5
This is a lovely and rare interaction. I wouldn't think they are semi-captive, the horns may just have been removed under sedation as a protective anti-poaching measure...

haseeb badar
09-05-2015, 03:39 AM
Hi Sanjeev -- Definitely a sight to behold . Good job provided the SS u had , certainly a 5D MK III would have been a better option but you have managed quite nicely .TFS !

BTW - why is that belt tied on its right front leg ? is it some kind of tracking device ?

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
09-05-2015, 06:39 AM
Thanks Steve, Morkel and Haseeb. Morkel, thanks for clarifying, it certainly makes sense. And am sure the belt Haseeb pointed out must be to keep track of the animal or to contain it while working on the horns..

Rachel Hollander
09-06-2015, 10:08 AM
Hi Sanjeev - a lovely sighting and your ability to shoot at such slow ss continues to amaze me. Steady hands of a doctor. Agree with the above suggestions especially when you don't need the "extra reach" of a crop factor camera.

I added the "Theme" prefix. As I am sure you know, the black rhino is listed as critically endangered on the IUCN Red List: http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/6557/0

TFS,
Rachel

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
09-06-2015, 11:26 AM
Thanks everyone, Rachel I shall check the list. Been busy with the Kid and all. Steve, yes it should have been the 5D3 but I guess am a bit nervous changing lenses and the light was fading fast. So just stedied myself, held my breath and fired a quick short burst with my usual Back button focusing in AI servo.

Loi Nguyen
09-06-2015, 03:39 PM
Lovely sighting and a lovely image as well. Seems a bit tight to me. Do you have more room on top and left?
Loi

Gabriela Plesea
09-09-2015, 12:12 PM
Warmest Congratulations on becoming a Dad, Sanjeev!!!!!!

A very short message and forgive me for being so brief, we are in the Kruger right now at Balule Camp near Oliphants (and sitting in front of the tent looking at a few fat spotted hyena only 2 m away, LOL)

What a wonderful image, so special, very well done in capturing this!

Will be in touch soon,

Kind regards,

Katie Rupp
09-09-2015, 05:53 PM
Congratulations Sanjeev, on the birth of your son. I have two of them, much older now, but so much fun is in store for you and your family. Great image, techs, detail and comp all working together give it a peaceful feeling.

Regards,

Katie

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
09-10-2015, 02:02 AM
Thanks everyone! Gabriela, I wish I could join you at that water hole with my gear :-) Well as of now my Son is grabbing all the attention ! Look forward to hearing from you reg your current Kruger experience. Katie thanks again.
Cheers.

Andreas Liedmann
09-10-2015, 01:08 PM
Hi Sanjeev does look good considering the given techs :Whoa!:.
Nice tone and colors , comp does work well and the captured behavior is really lovely . Always good to see them still reproducing , the cut off horns are a bit unfortunate but if it helps to make them unattractive for certain people ....... well why not cutting them all off, as far as possible ???

TFS Andreas