PDA

View Full Version : Theme Fluffball killer

Ákos Lumnitzer
09-03-2015, 02:53 AM
Once he grows up I guess; he's about three weeks old here. To cut a long story short, a few years of looking in my spare time and putting in lots of effort found me two local White-bellied Sea Eagle nests, which I can now keep an eye on.
This one is a long hike, up and down hills, gullies, across creeks, but well worth it for the view from my permanently built hide affords a great view.

1D, 500/1.4x, manual mode
ISO 800, f/8, 1/1600th.
Tripod, Wimberley, hide

Tony Whitehead
09-03-2015, 03:38 AM
Great reward for all your effort and research to find the nest, Akos. Nice sharp focus on the chick and I like the fresh green eucalyptus leaves lining the nest. Natural vignette of the darker BG and shaded front edge of the nest works well.

haseeb badar
09-03-2015, 04:23 AM
Hi Akos -- Thats some effort ! i have never seen the white bellied chicks before. Nice details you have managed considering the light on the furry whites of the chick. wish the twig running right across its neck wasn't their but the nest is build for the young ones and not the photographers :w3 . TFS !

gail bisson
09-03-2015, 02:34 PM
Your persistence and hard field work have certainly paid off Akos!
Love the eucalyptus leaves (I can smell them ).
Agree it is a pity about that one branch running across the neck but I understand that you gotta take what mother nature gives you!
IQ looks good and I like the side lighting.
Gail

Steve Kaluski
09-04-2015, 03:42 AM
Hi Akos, getting at eye level was no mean feat either, especially after such a journey to get to the sighting. Under the circumstance I feel you did well in the capture and if it was in the days of film even more impressed as the option for any 'gardening' was out of bounds so to speak :bg3:, unless you know of a good re toucher, lol.

TFS
Steve

Ákos Lumnitzer
09-04-2015, 03:51 AM
I am lucky that the nest is at the level of a cliff face, so setting the hide up back from the edge was the best option.

I checked the nest this afternoon from across the gully and there is a chick there, about two, perhaps three, weeks old. Cute as.

Hope to get out to it on Sunday.

Steve Kaluski
09-04-2015, 04:21 AM
I might pack the 1.4 or 2x for options Akos, even a cable release and shoot single frames.

Ákos Lumnitzer
09-04-2015, 06:08 AM
I never leave home without both TCs and generally, never use a remote release for long lens work. Usually manage nicely with a tripod (if I have to use slow SS). This was shot with stacked TCs from about 80 meters away and just for the record really. Cropped too, but I was merely sussing out the nest status for the weekend to save me having to walk in for about 50 minutes and sweat it out. This only took 15 each way, though darn steep along a cliff face.

When I'm close, I still use TCs naturally, especially while the chick is tiny.

Stu Bowie
09-05-2015, 04:40 AM
Hi Akos, a great sighting, and a perfect subject for this month's theme. I like the angled pose, inquisitive look, and also the placement in the frame.

Thanks for the update in your repost, and be carefull with hiking in those areas. We dont want you injuring yourself, as well as damaging equipment.