PDA

View Full Version : Theme Now what????

Steve Kaluski
09-02-2015, 02:47 AM
'Junior' was always the more 'adventuresome' one of the two who likes to explore, or is just simply comical in the antics of exploring this new world! Yes, their is a behavioural aspect to this, but also a rather humorous one too. It was the sound of the shutter going off that caught his/her attention. Love the open beak & the engaging eyes direct to the viewer.

Because of the distance/angle there was no way in gaining any more height to this POV, as the subject is also more set back, rather than nearer the edge of the bale. The light was very soft, hence the more softer, muted colours.

Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Little Owlet (Athene noctua) head on, beak splits straw
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 500mmf/4 MKII plus 1.4MKIII Ext Gitzo/Uniqball head
Exposure: 1/2500s at f/9 ISO800
Original format:Portrait, cropped for presentation
Processed: LRCC 2015 & PSCC 2015

Note: The subject is fully wild and completely unconstrained. Besides the potential impact of my presence, nothing has been done to intentionally alter or affect the ongoing behavior of the subject and, of course, there has been no use of any form of bait or other form of wildlife attractants (including vocalisations) in the capture of this image.

Joseph Przybyla
09-02-2015, 06:03 AM
The eyes are everything, what a little beauty. I love seeing the young, it ensures a future generation and states that in spite of all that hinder they find a way to survive. No need to comment on the techs, always excellent with purpose and thought. Thank you for sharing, Steve.

keith mitchell
09-02-2015, 07:20 AM
Steve you have got the colour on this smashing Little Owlet spot on,"The light was very soft, hence the more softer, muted colours" natural and that's the way I see them,the bit of straw game play is icing on the cake.
You have posted some excellent Little Owls but this is my all time favourite.

Keith.

Steve Kaluski
09-02-2015, 07:43 AM
Thank you Joe & Keith, I thought out of the whole sequence of 14 frames this was the one, as other frames were not quite right, or the membrane was coming over, straw covered an eye etc.

Cheers.

Bill Dix
09-02-2015, 08:26 AM
A fine shot of this cute little fellow. The straw makes it special. I'd be tempted to take a bit off the bottom, but that's subjective.

Geoff Newhouse
09-02-2015, 08:50 AM
Love it!! The eyes have it here.

TFS
Geoff

Derek Willcox
09-02-2015, 09:20 AM
Steve this looks great like how your processing really kept the feather detail looking fluffy the stare and the split straw gives it a feel

Rachel Hollander
09-02-2015, 10:37 AM
Steve - As others said, it's all about the eyes here. I like the colors, they look natural and the straw in the mouth adds a whimsical element.

TFS,
Rachel

William Dickson
09-02-2015, 01:24 PM
Another cracker Steve. I really love the expression on the face esp the eyes. :eek3: Nice one

Will

Gabriela Plesea
09-02-2015, 03:15 PM
Dear Steve,

I guess you already know how I feel about this little "character"... Late to comment here because of all the packing and preparation for the ( camping ) holiday, but I had to chip in and tell you how much I love this! Superb capture!

My favourite avian subject ever, and since you mention a "sequence of 14 frames", I am wondering if on my return I could perhaps find a few of those amazing frames in "Story Sequences"? :tinysmile_shy_t:

Love your work Steve, with each and every frame you inspire me, thank you Sir:5

Warmest regards,

Ákos Lumnitzer
09-02-2015, 09:43 PM
Steve
This is really wonderful. Love the eyes, as already been mentioned.
I would not want to leave if I had this kind of opportunity presented to me.
Thanks for sharing!

Steve Kaluski
09-03-2015, 02:22 AM
Many, many thanks folks, for me it's one of those images where the expression conveys 'caught in the act of doing something naughty, that guilty look' if you know what I mean :bg3:.

Hi Gabriela, you are/have been on my conscience, well the Story Forum has been for some time as you know :bg3:. I just need to get some clear air, so I will try to do something, but it won't be until mid to late October as I am committed to a raft of things, however I will do my upmost.

I would not want to leave if I had this kind of opportunity presented to me.

Hi Akos, this is what happens when you give the subject space & take your time in building up respect as you know only too well, you are then treated to some wonderful encounters, albeit brief. The hours put in juxtapose to the captures never balance out, but all good fun, cheers.