PDA

View Full Version : Autumn Rhino

Morkel Erasmus
08-30-2015, 11:26 PM
Not only was this White Rhino bull photographed in the South African bushveld amidst autumn colours, the species is also in an autumn, facing a winter of extinction at the hands of ruthless poachers.

Taken while crouching flat on the ground next to the vehicle.

Techs:
Nikon D3s
Nikkor 500mm f4 VR-II
f6.3 | 1/1000 SS | ISO-500

Tobie Schalkwyk
08-31-2015, 12:06 AM
Beautiful and well worth the extra effort in order to get the lower POV Morkel.

Unbelievable that these giants get killed for that small piece of nothingness on its nose! What a shame!

christopher galeski
08-31-2015, 01:37 AM
very nice image of a magnificent beast,like the two oxpeckers on the beast,nice POV,should educate the world ,that rhino horn ,is not a medicine.TFS.

Marc Mol
08-31-2015, 03:17 AM
Excellent low POV and wonderful early golden colour Morkel, a fitting tribute to these majestic animals.

TFS

Rachel Hollander
08-31-2015, 06:39 AM
Hi Morkel - I agree, nice autumn colors and the low pov makes it. The grass in the mouth add to the image as does the oxpecker peeking over the top. Nice one.

TFS,
Rachel

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
08-31-2015, 06:53 AM
This is absolutely amazing Morkel. I like the POV, the colours and sharpness. Great pose and grass in mouth all add up. TFS.

haseeb badar
08-31-2015, 07:47 AM
Hi Morkel -- i also agree with all of the comments above . nice POV and that oxpecker on the back is adding to this already beautiful image ! TFS .

Andreas Liedmann
08-31-2015, 02:15 PM
Hi Morkel - lovely low POV and the colors do look great . Nice HA and the grass adds to the image .
I just might boost the MT and the 3/4 tones a tiny fraction with a slight curve ( lets say 5 % shift ?) but use a mask to target the tones to the rhino .

Nice one Morkel , TFS Andreas

Steve Kaluski
09-01-2015, 09:06 AM
Hi Morkel, like the warmth the Autumnal scene has created and the OP's are a nice added bonus to the capture. I can appreciate how cool it is to photograph these magnificent animals on foot.

TFS
Steve

Gabriela Plesea
09-01-2015, 04:08 PM
Hello Morkel,

Filled with sadness as I am viewing this image because I have just learnt that we lost another rhino around here...

This is indeed lovely and I notice two cute little oxpeckers, one barely peeping on top of the rhino and the other on its forehead:)

Love the warmth there and beautiful light, also POV ( you could always dash under the vehicle if the rhino came too close, LOL)

Me thinking... perhaps you could join us sometime for one of those special rhino evenings at Falaza Game Park nearby, I know you care and you might enjoy meeting some like-minded people, will be in touch when we are back from holiday Morkel:)

Wonderful image, a pleasure to view,

Warmest regards,