PDA

View Full Version : Tree swallow

Dave Slaughter
06-03-2008, 09:02 PM
This is a photo of a tree swallow, taken shortly after the sun peeked over the mountains to the east. I used a Canon Xti, Canon 400mm F5.6 lens with a 20 mm extension tube. I worked very hard (moved like the proverbial glacier) to get close to this bird. Criticisms appreciated. ISO was 400 but I don't know the other settings.

As an aside, I've been amazed on my swallow photos to see how many insects they can get on each foray. It would seem that if a bird opened his beak in flight to catch a second bug the first one would blow out. Puffins seem to do the same thing with sanderling, somehow catching 4 or 5 in a dive. Anyone know how they do this?

Desmond Chan
06-03-2008, 10:20 PM
I think the lighting is good, the pose, and especially the eye...looking back right at ya !

Doug Brown
06-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Like the mouth full of bugs. Good eye contact and sharpness. I would definitely tone down the bright area on the perch. Thanks for sharing, and congrats on getting in close!

Alfred Forns
06-03-2008, 11:14 PM
Hi Dave !!!! Some real high mountains you got there LIght is getting harsh already !!! Pose and head angle sure look good. Also great having all those insects.

That lens is great for flight but does have the worst minimal focusing distance. Nice going with the converter !!! btw kiler bg !!!

SeanKP
06-04-2008, 10:29 AM
I like this a lot. The head turn is nice and you've done a great job with the exposure in what looks to have been tricky conditions. I too would do something about that bright area on the perch.

Lance Peters
06-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Magnificent BG - agrree with the comment about the bright patch on the post.

well done

lance