PDA

View Full Version : Big, Fuzzy, and Presumably Juicy Fella...

Daniel Cadieux
08-29-2015, 04:34 PM
From my folks' cottage. I was sitting outside on a lawn chair when this fella simply walked right between my feet...I spotted it when I looked down to grab my drink and WHOA!!!! A good 4 inches long! Run inside, slap on the macro lens, and find something for it to hold on to (this is a fern stem). I had to research it to find out what it would turn into....this will become an amazing Imperial Moth next spring.

Canon 7D + 100mm f/2.8 macro, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/200s., f/9, ISO 800, fill flash.

Randy Stout
08-29-2015, 04:57 PM
Daniel:

Quite the plump, hairy little fellow. Neat bit of natural history in regards to its destiny. I like the scale of the perch, the subject itself is very fun esp. the horns and blue spots.

Might consider toning down the sheen on the left side of the perch from the flash.

Aren't cottages great places!

Cheers

Randy

Warren Spreng
08-29-2015, 09:19 PM
Terrific, fascinating subject!

Ron Conlon
08-30-2015, 11:26 AM
Very cool. Could imagine an alternate with a little steeper diagonal, but not sure that that would be any better.

Jonathan Ashton
08-31-2015, 04:08 AM
Lovely shot with complementary colours, must have been an impressive sight at 4 inches long. Focus is drifting off just a tad on the left but overall DOF is very good indeed.

Diane Miller
08-31-2015, 06:48 PM
Wonderful! Doubt it will make it to a moth -- it looks too much like a gourmet meal for a bird.