PDA

View Full Version : Long Dash Skipper

Warren Spreng
08-29-2015, 11:06 AM

Took this shot on August 15th, I know it is a Skipper, whether I got it identified correctly maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong!
Canon T3i
Canon 60mm Macro
f/6.3
ISO 800
1/1200
Handheld AF

Randy Stout
08-29-2015, 11:28 AM
Warren:
I like the fuzzy texture captured, soft light.

The purple in background is pretty, but so bold that it perhaps competes a bit with the butterfly for our attention. Perhaps desaturate the purple just a bit to soften its impact.

I might consider moving the butterfly to the right a bit in the frame if you have some more material to work with.

Cheers

Randy

Warren Spreng
08-29-2015, 02:46 PM
Warren:
I like the fuzzy texture captured, soft light.

The purple in background is pretty, but so bold that it perhaps competes a bit with the butterfly for our attention. Perhaps desaturate the purple just a bit to soften its impact.

I might consider moving the butterfly to the right a bit in the frame if you have some more material to work with.

Cheers

Randy

Thanks Randy, good suggestions!

David Cowling
08-29-2015, 03:13 PM
Definitely a Skipper but not a type that we get in UK. Nicely photographed and I like the plant it is resting on. Good detail in the fine hairs. You have captured it at a good angle as it shows the body and not just the wings. Undecided about the purple but the positioning works for me.

Daniel Cadieux
08-29-2015, 04:15 PM
Good points by Randy. The "perch" looks pretty cool with those thorny leaves. You placed yourself nicely parallel to the subject. I feel that the fine detail could be better on the butterfly itself, was this a big crop by any chance? It also looks like you might have removed something near your signature as there is residual processing evidence there.

Warren Spreng
08-29-2015, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the comments! Daniel, yes, I cloned out a bit of chair that stuck into the field and this is about a 30% crop, as I was pretty close in, I think there is some softness as it appears the one thorny leaf shows where the actual focus plane was so I think a little more depth would have been better in this case.

Jonathan Ashton
08-31-2015, 04:04 AM
Interesting shot, not sure of the species, the butterfly lacks a little in detail, I suspect a smaller aperture would have helped given the high shutter speed.

Warren Spreng
08-31-2015, 06:12 AM
Interesting shot, not sure of the species, the butterfly lacks a little in detail, I suspect a smaller aperture would have helped given the high shutter speed.

Thanks Jonathan, I'm going to try to set up to catch him again with a tripod. He really likes these flowers so should be able to try your suggestion.