PDA

View Full Version : Painted lady - Eclosure

Jonathan Ashton
08-28-2015, 11:43 AM
Tripod Canon 1DX Canon 180mm macro ISO 640 1/250 sec f14 fill in flash
The term eclosure is sometimes used to describe the process of the adult butterfly leaving its pupa. This was very nearly total disaster! I took images before during and after eclosure, just after the head was pushed out a gust of wind came along and blew the pupa all over the place and it was absolute murder trying to photograph it. I have deliberately not cropped as I wanted to show the rose bay willow herb (fireweed to USA:w3) and what was left of a very thin thread holding the pupa case on the plant.
I will post a composite image next showing the various stages together.
All C&C welcome.

John Robinson
08-28-2015, 12:25 PM
Great stuff Jon ! Did you rear it ? I used to find them on thistle when I were a lad !
John

Jonathan Ashton
08-28-2015, 02:43 PM
Yes John I reared five of them.

Warren Spreng
08-28-2015, 04:30 PM
Fascinating to watch isn't it! Amazing the thread that it is hanging by, looking forward to your composite!

David Cowling
08-29-2015, 02:40 PM
Great natural history shot Jonathan. Fascinating to see as I have never observed such a moment myself. Nice and sharp,well exposed and nice clean background enabling us to see all of the action. Well done for managing it in the wind.

Daniel Cadieux
08-29-2015, 04:23 PM
Very cool. I love that fine silky thread. Do you have some images showing attached to the flower? I've yet to witness such a scene...hope to do so at one point!

Jonathan Ashton
08-30-2015, 06:00 AM
Very cool. I love that fine silky thread. Do you have some images showing attached to the flower? I've yet to witness such a scene...hope to do so at one point!
My next post will possibly be what you are looking for Dan