PDA

View Full Version : Svalbard landscape

Steve Kaluski
08-26-2015, 01:13 PM
Thought I would have a dabble at some snaps of this rather stunning & spectacular location as we quietly slipped along one of the many shorelines of the Svalbard Archipelago. The afternoon was dull & overcast, hardly any colour apart from this rather small and lonely ice berg.

Steve

Subject: Svalbard archipelago shoreline
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 70-200f/2.8 HH
Exposure: 1/2000s at f/9 ISO400
Original format: Landscape, cropped for presentation, almost FF on the width
Processed: LR6 2015 & PS CC2015

dankearl
08-26-2015, 02:43 PM
I like your concept, I would not have centered the Blue iceberg.....

Don Railton
08-26-2015, 07:00 PM
Hi Steve.. This is very nice. I don't mind the centered iceberg so much as it blends into the BG somewhat, but like Dan it's not where I would have put it either. Good to try something different tho'.. I like the stillness/calming mood.

DON

Steve Kaluski
08-27-2015, 02:03 AM
I would not have centered the Blue iceberg.....

Agree, cropping to a more 'conventional format', so there is less on the RHS would be better as I like the long sliver of ice on the LHS.

Jerry van Dijk
08-27-2015, 05:46 AM
The blue color against the natural BW of the BG works excellent and make this image very attractive. Agree about the centered position of the iceberg with the others. But when you're in a moving boat, you can't always get what you want.

Steve Kaluski
08-27-2015, 06:20 AM
Going more of a 'conventional' route, BTW thanks Jerry.

Stu Bowie
08-27-2015, 09:05 AM
Hi Steve, I really like the IQ in this, and first looking at your thumbnail, I thought you had converted this to B&W. :w3 What a stunning setting with the snow/ice tucked into the crevices, and the splash of colour on the iceberg takes this over the top. I felt your comp in the OP was fine, until I saw your repost - repost wins IMHO. :cheers:

Diane Miller
08-27-2015, 10:32 PM
Very nice sharpness and tonal detail. I wonder about lifting the darks in the water.

BenBotha
08-28-2015, 08:38 AM
The RP IMO much better. I like the tranquillity of the scene. Lovely image.

Ben

Steve Kaluski
08-28-2015, 01:47 PM
Hi Diane, I want depth and richness overall and lifting the blacks will loose that, but it's not the Blacks, more Shadow Blacks, or Dark Dark Blacks via Channels, Curves, or even a combination including Levels.

Cheers Ben, a slight temp change to what you are experiencing I think :w3.

Diane Miller
08-28-2015, 02:45 PM
I meant darks, but not globally -- just in the water. The darks there pull my eye away from the berg and the subtly beautiful tonalities in the hills. Or I'd crop a little below the oblong light shape extending left from the berg, and probably include the piece just below it that lines up with the berg.

Rachel Hollander
08-30-2015, 07:21 AM
Hi Steve - I had looked and then got pulled away. I much prefer the rp here. Well done.

TFS,
Rachel

Gabriela Plesea
09-01-2015, 02:37 PM
RP for me too, Steve:)

Sublime landscape and I love the colours... or rather, the lack of colours. Save for that green - where does it come from? Sounds childish I know, but I have never been there, never seen this... it is almost surreal, a "spot of time" granted to you by Mother Nature , the right place with perfect light, and I bet you felt small among this vastness and it must have been so satisfying to capture this frame. Were you a tad overwhelmed by the stillness, or by those huge heaps of mountains and wide expanse of waters?

This is the first landscape I see from you and I love it.

Warmest regards,

Steve Kaluski
09-01-2015, 03:10 PM
You should see it in the mist & fog, with 'Dog Suns' too, I'll post something before the end of the week a little tighter. :w3

Don Lacy
09-07-2015, 06:32 PM
Hi Steve, I really like the repost it helps to focus the viewers eye on the berg.

Andrew McLachlan
09-07-2015, 06:56 PM
Hi Steve, love the repost and the barren landscape here...the blue in the iceberg give the scene that little splash of colour that it needs...quite lovely...TFS :)

Morkel Erasmus
09-08-2015, 06:33 PM
Love this, Steve, the touch of blue really sets it apart.
Repost is better ito composition/framing.