PDA

View Full Version : Curiosity didn't kill the Big Cat!

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
08-26-2015, 12:30 PM
Hi all, This is one of my favourite poses of the male leopard I got at Okavango! This time I used the 100-400 II on 7D II to get the paw in (compared to the previous frame) and the leopard was really interested in what was going on with us all pointing our lenses at him. The IS on the mark II lenses is just wicked!
7D II
100-400 II @ 220mm
1/125
f/5.6
ISO 1600

Steve Kaluski
08-26-2015, 02:45 PM
Hi Sanjeev, I can see why this is one of you favourites, if not your ultimate image, of the very cool Leopard, the head angle is priceless, love the inquisitiveness conveyed. I'm also impressed with your techs, 1/125s well done, but I personally would not rely on low SS in the future.

As for the framing I would try either a portrait or square crop, for me there is too much dead space to the left I feel. The saturation looks about right, but I would look at tweaking the HSL to help the foliage on the LH edge, it's a wee bit bright and draws the eye IMHO. Likewise perhaps a Lumo layer set low applied to the face may help tonally just to darken it a fraction, looks a little light, but again personal tastes. Not sure if the attached helps????

I've very happy you had such great encounters, wildlife is never easy, but you have nailed some lovely images, well done Sir!

TFS
Steve :wave:

Gabriela Plesea
08-26-2015, 03:14 PM
Just AWESOME, Sanjeev!!!!

Congratulations!

Although I do prefer Steve's crop I must admit this is one helluva capture and I can think of a few magazines who would pay well to have this on the cover of their next edition:)

If this were mine I would follow Steve's advice in terms of PP work and then get it ready for print! Your best image ever IMO and I am very taken with this, love the expression from the leopard and such a fun image, certainly memorable in every way!

Wonderful work, Sanjeev!!! Nice and sharp and very well exposed, great IQ, sweet in every way:5

Kind regards,

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-27-2015, 02:48 AM
Stunning image with the head and the look.
Steve's toning down of those bright green leaves did wonders.
Excellent shot. Love everything about it.
Thanks for sharing.

christopher galeski
08-27-2015, 03:05 AM
Beautiful image,expression on his face magic,sharp with great detail.well done.

haseeb badar
08-27-2015, 04:10 AM
Hi Sanjeev --- Terrific image !! excellent details and colors , what a priceless pose u have captured ,Steve's crop has taken it up to another level !! very well done . TFS !!

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
08-27-2015, 06:58 AM
Thanks Steve, Gabriela, Akos, Christopher and Haseeb! Am really glad you all liked the image. I was thrilled that morning to get the shot. Steve, I agree I will keep that SS up next time and I guess I got lucky this time. Yes my friends, this was the best leopard sighting for me as we spent more than 5-6 hours over two days with him, watching him closely and seeing his antics! Steve's RP has shown be the direction and here is a RP from me based on all your advce. Hope this looks better. Cheers:cheers:
Sanjeev

Steve Kaluski
08-27-2015, 07:28 AM
Looks better Sanjeev, I think I also, darkened the tree trunk, dropped the purple & magenta to obtain a more neutral colour on the tree trunk (would need to check back in LR) and lost that solitary leaf?

Joseph Przybyla
08-27-2015, 09:00 AM
Lovely image, Sanjeev. Thank you for sharing.

Andreas Liedmann
08-27-2015, 12:33 PM
Hey Sanjeev from the pure subject POV , by far your best post so far :cheers: :5 :cheers:. I absolutely love the subject and its fantastic expression !!!!!!!
Will not go into depth of color and tones , i just feel like being blown away by the great subject .
Wouldn´t it be great to have a peace of software to get rid ( in a really nice way without looking fake) of all the useless stuff around the subject , as it sadly draws away my eyes from the subject .

But still a stunning image you can be very proud of , nice work my friend.

TFS Andreas

Rachel Hollander
08-27-2015, 07:29 PM
Hi Sanjeev - What a fantastic pose and image! I agree with all the accolades above- one of your best. I am ok with the crop on your rp but would go a bit further with the adjustments as Steve did, especially darkening some of the surrounding foliage and tree trunk. I would also tame or get rid of the specular highlight in the urc. Well done and a definite wall hanger.

TFS,
Rachel

Marc Mol
08-30-2015, 06:01 AM
Loving the quizzical pose here Sanjeev, and one where numerous, suggested crops could work, just a wonderful moment to experience and capture.:5

TFS

Morkel Erasmus
08-31-2015, 03:54 AM
Great pose here Doc - love the repost as well.
Just remember everyone reading (you know it, Sanjeev) that the IS will counter your own camera-shake and unsteady hands, but it of course cannot counter a subject that moves too fast for the chosen shutter speed :e3