PDA

View Full Version : Marble Canyon

Rachel Hollander
08-26-2015, 07:34 AM
Marble Canyon is considered the start of the Grand Canyon on the east. This image was taken from the old Navajo Bridge looking down river toward Lee's Ferry. The light was a bit harsh because unfortunately we crossed there at about noon.

Canon 5D3
70-200 II @ 120mm
1/200
f11
ISO 100
HH, ff, luminosity mask, levels, curves, selective color adjustments and sharpened in CCPS.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Don Railton
08-26-2015, 07:08 PM
Hi Rachel, The light is not doing you any favors here but you know that already. Maybe lift the contrast slightly on the distant red cliffs?? Nice composition. I was watching an historic re-enactment of a traverse of the Grand Canyon in rowing boats last nigh on TV.. Water was the same colour, looked like flowing chocolate.

DON

Stu Bowie
08-27-2015, 09:09 AM
Hi Rachel, we have a great view of the layered formation of the rocky sides, and love the colour of the mountains in the BG. Does the water run through the entire course of the canyon.

Rachel Hollander
08-27-2015, 09:14 PM
Thanks Don and Stu. Yep, that is the color of the river from the clay silt in it. I went white water rafting on the Colorado years ago through Canyonlands N.P. and everything winds up that color including your skin after a few days. Stu - the river does run the length of the Canyon but it is very narrow compared to the width of the Canyon now.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Stu Bowie
08-28-2015, 12:16 AM
Hi Rachel, thanks for the feedback. Always great to catch up with geography - one of my favourite subjects at school. :w3

Morkel Erasmus
09-05-2015, 03:35 AM
A lovely view and I can just imagine the way those red rock faces light up in golden hour...
I've been enjoying seeing the Canyon through your eyes Rachel.

Rachel Hollander
09-06-2015, 10:33 AM
Thanks Morkel, much appreciated.

Don Lacy
09-07-2015, 06:33 PM
Nice strong compositional lines here well done.

Andrew McLachlan
09-07-2015, 06:53 PM
Hi Rachel...very nicely composed with nice details in the rock walls...sometimes these harshly lit scenes can work very nicely as B&W...did you consider trying a conversion? Looking forward to more from your trip :)

Don Hamilton Jr.
09-20-2015, 06:50 PM
This is indeed a very nice image.. /Wonder if a bit of curves ala contrast,tonal contrast might make the reds, and pink hues pop a bit more.. Sweet image!!

Rachel Hollander
09-21-2015, 06:59 AM
Thanks Don, Andrew and Don for the comments and suggestions. Much appreciated, as always.