PDA

View Full Version : Back to Italy

Cheryl Slechta
08-25-2015, 07:09 PM
Hi, folks, I'm going back to Italy for about two and a half weeks and I'll have limited access to a computer. Here's an image that I took on my first trip this winter/spring in Venice. I was using a $40 Holga TLR that I bought from B&H. They have many different kinds of Holgas and they are so light and fun to use. Of course, you're dealing with film but a friend is developing the film for me (I'll learn to do it when I get home since it doesn't require a lot of equipment). Then I'm taking the negative (which is square format and large compared to 35mm film), putting it on my lightpad, shooting it with my Canon 5DMarkIII and the 100mm macro. Then taking it into PS and inverting and voila - a print. I've been processing them (minimally) with Silver Efex Pro mainly to get the tint and contrast that I want. I'm taking the holga with me this time with about 5 rolls of film. It's fun, cheap, and light - the Holga probably weighs 4 oz :) And you don't need to use Nik Analog Efex to get this look (which I love).
I'll see everyone when I get back:S3:

Kerry Perkins
08-26-2015, 12:06 AM
Bon voyage Cheryl. I like this image a lot and I really like the way you got it. The Holga is great with all the light leaks! Hope you get lots of new images to play with!

Hazel Grant
08-26-2015, 09:26 AM
I was attracted to the thumbnail and then really liked it when I opened it! I've heard about this Holga but hadn't seen much from it. This looks like a fun project. I took a class in darkroom a few years ago and liked it, so I know you will. Looking forward to more from Italy. Have fun!

Nancy Bell
08-27-2015, 08:39 AM
Cheryl, I am always impressed with your eye for picking out such a lovely image in a scene. The curved bows of these boats with the interspersed vertical poles really capture my eye and lead me towards the distant buildings with the interesting roof shapes. Love the old-time effect with a real old-time camera! Have a super wonderful time in Italy!!

Anita Bower
08-28-2015, 04:03 PM
Have a wonderful trip and fun with your Holga camera. You came up with a fascinating approach to getting images on line from this camera. This is an excellent composition, with the boats pointing to the horizon (which is a bit tilted--an easy fix). Keeping the film frame works well.

Diane Miller
08-28-2015, 08:46 PM
I tried a Holga for a while but this is WAY better than anything I ever shot -- location notwithstanding! Look forward to the new ones. Have a WONDERFUL trip!!!

BTW, there are some excellent film scanners now that take large-format film, and are quite inexpensive compared to the stuff we're used to.