PDA

View Full Version : Gloomy Karoo Sunrise

Morkel Erasmus
08-25-2015, 12:55 PM
From our trip to a sheep farm in the Karoo semi-desert in April.
I was hoping the sun would break through the gap in the clouds but it was not to be.

Techs:
Nikon D800
Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8 @ 14mm
f11 | 1/40 SS | ISO-100

Don Railton
08-25-2015, 11:38 PM
Hmmm, not my idea of a sheep farm, more of a sheep graveyard.. you wont be carrying 30 to the acre there.. I agree the sun would have lifted this Morkel, I think you have made the most of what was offered on the day as it is..

DON

Morkel Erasmus
08-26-2015, 05:08 AM
Hmmm, not my idea of a sheep farm, more of a sheep graveyard.. you wont be carrying 30 to the acre there.. I agree the sun would have lifted this Morkel, I think you have made the most of what was offered on the day as it is..

DON

:)
Well do be fair, Don, this is a dried up lake. There is plenty of grassland about but carrying capacity in the Karoo is lower than similar farms on the Highveld which receives more rain etc.

Meat reared in this area has a distinctive taste from the shrubs the sheep get to graze on - some of the best lamb in the world IMHO!

Don Railton
08-26-2015, 05:46 AM
Hi Morkel, Sorry, you said it was sheep farm!!:bg3: Let me tell you there is also plenty of OZ farming land that looks like that as well and it's not/never been a lake.. ie its very harsh country for sheep and tough for the farmers trying to look after the sheep. I am quite happy to believe that its good lamb, the salt bush and the like will definitely make the flavor different, however you are talking to an ex Kiwi with very high standards in that regard... So back to the photo, I forgot to mention that I like the perspective you achieved from the small rows of tussock (islands when there is water..??) along with that little circular patch of sheep food LRHS

DON

Rachel Hollander
08-26-2015, 07:21 AM
Hi Morkel - the sun peeping through would have certainly added to this. I find my eye drawn to the bump/circle in the fg. I think a version with it cropped out leads you more into the image and the sky.

TFS,
Rachel

dankearl
08-26-2015, 02:45 PM
Since there is no sun, maybe a lower POV with more land and less sky would have worked better?

Stu Bowie
08-27-2015, 09:14 AM
Hi Mork, I like the wide perspective here, and how the grasses seem to form an inverted V. Im sure that area could get pretty warm in mid summer.

Diane Miller
08-27-2015, 10:27 PM
I really like the lines brought out by the wide angle lens. I think a bit more exposure, or midtone brightness, could be interesting. I'd hate to lose any of the dramatic sweep in the clouds, but a higher POV could give a little more emphasis to the FG, looking down on it just a little more.

Don Lacy
09-07-2015, 06:35 PM
Hi Morkel, As usual wonderful tonal values and strong use of leading lines

Andrew McLachlan
09-07-2015, 06:51 PM
Hi Morkel...sun or no sun this one works very well as presented with wonderful sky and earth tones...a dried lake bed...are there African Bullfrogs hibernating down in the mud beneath your feet?...I want to photograph African Bullfrogs in the wild someday :)

Morkel Erasmus
09-08-2015, 03:27 AM
Thanks for the comments and suggestions, folks.

Hi Morkel...sun or no sun this one works very well as presented with wonderful sky and earth tones...a dried lake bed...are there African Bullfrogs hibernating down in the mud beneath your feet?...I want to photograph African Bullfrogs in the wild someday :)

With any luck we can even find a bullfrog on top of a hippo or crocodile?? :)