PDA

View Full Version : Sleepy Time 2

Steve Large
06-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Hello Everyone,
Here is another picture of that Barred Owl from the weekend. I've had a few comments (including from my wife), on the first one about cutting off the tail. This is an all body shot. I wasn't as pleased with the eye contact on this one as he was just about ready to sleep for the day however, you do get a pretty good idea of plumage and coloration.

Same specs as last time:
Canon 20D
400 ISO
1/25 sec at F/8
Canon 500m + 1.4X
Wimberly 2 Head

Thanks for your comments,

Steve

Alfred Forns
06-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Hi Steve Agree with your assessment on the eyes The pose does present a good view and sure got a nice bg. Would suggest cloning some texture on the white area on top !!! Excellent !!!

Axel Hildebrandt
06-03-2008, 04:26 PM
The owl is well-exposed and the head turn and 'sleepy' look adds to it. I agree with Al regarding toning down the bright areas of the BG and would sharpen the bird a tad more.

Doug Brown
06-03-2008, 06:27 PM
Nothing more to add on this photo; Axel and Al have given some good advice here. Was this shot on the same or a different day than the previous image? It'd be great to be able to visit this owl on a regular basis; you're sure to get great eye contact that way. Thanks for posting!

Steve Large
06-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Hi Doug,
this image was shot on the same day but at a different angle probably within 5 minutes of the other photo. This guy likes this tree but it is the first time he let me get close without flying off. As it was closer to morning, he was ready to shut down for the day. Last time the Robins were really hammering away at him as well. I often use them to tell me where the owls are in the deep bush.

Steve