PDA

View Full Version : After the Meal

Stu Bowie
08-24-2015, 05:32 AM
I visited the Vulpro Conservation Center yesterday, and thought I would capture this Cape Vulture after he had finished his breakfast. The bloodied head and neck shows how he got stuck into his meal. This establishment does a lot of research and captive breeding. These Vultures are totally wild, and descend from the surrounding mountains to feed on carcasses that are left out, for the Vultures to feed, and also for them to take back for their young. This was captured from a hide.

Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 300mm F/2.8
1/1600
F/7.1
ISO 400

Hand held from a hide

Rachel Hollander
08-24-2015, 07:58 AM
Hi Stu - excellent low pov, details and sharpness. The catchlight and light also add a lot. You've made the vulture look almost pleasant.

TFS,
Rachel

Geoffrey Montagu
08-24-2015, 10:53 AM
Beautiful capture in the noon sun, Stu. Like the warm tones/IQ of this great looking bird. Wonderful detail, raised back feathers, and nice motion frozen debris kicked up.

Geoffrey

Mike Poole
08-24-2015, 12:10 PM
Lovely shot Stu, I don't know this species so didn't even realise that was blood around the neck!

The walking pose is nice, and the techs are spot on. The only thing I would have like would have maybe been a ground level POV, but I 'm guessing this is not possible from a hide

Mike

Stu Bowie
08-24-2015, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the feedback Rachel, Geoff and Mike.

Daniel Cadieux
08-24-2015, 04:35 PM
Man , the red neck looks like its natural colouration! The open bill, ruffled feathers, and debris under the foot all add dynamism to the image. Only an even lower angle would have topped this, but realize you were confined in a hide.

christopher galeski
08-25-2015, 02:26 AM
Excellent Stu,sharp nice details,like the walking pose and dust it has kicked up,loverly light.TFS.

William Dickson
08-25-2015, 05:57 AM
Lovely capture Stu. Fab detail on the bird and a great pose. The blood coloured head and neck really makes this image stand out. Well done

Will

gail bisson
08-25-2015, 08:34 AM
Hi Stu,
Lovely opportunity you had here and you made the most of it!
I didn't realize that was blood on the neck until you told us so. Almost looks like a natural color. Very cool.
IQ is excellent and I like the debris kicked up by the feet.
Gail

Steve Kaluski
08-25-2015, 02:11 PM
Hi Stu, the image rocks matey, echo Daniels comment about the angle, but the raise foot and displaced dirt kick up just adds to the whole image, nice work.

TFS
Steve

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-26-2015, 06:29 AM
Very pleasing shot Stu! I really like the low POV and think it's more than enough.
What an ugly mother! But, it's a raptor so I love it the same.
Nicely captured with good movement in the shot.
Well done mate and TFS!