PDA

View Full Version : Where's my burrow?

Nicki Gwynn Jones
06-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Hi everybody,
This is my first picture posting:eek:
It was taken on a recent visit to Skomer Island in the UK, and this little fellow had indeed lost his burrow!! Hope you enjoy it, look forward to the critiques!

Canon 40D
100-400IS
F8
Evaluative Metering
ISO 400 (dull light)
10 A.M.

Best regards, Nicki

carole wiley
06-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Nicki, were it not for the stick leading up by his eye this would be the perfect image for me. I really like what you have done with the cropping and even the centering doesn't bother me. The image does look a bit flat on my monitor but that may just be my monitor, I am at work....All in all, a lovely image.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
06-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Hi Carole,
Many thanks for the kind comments. How would I make the image look less flat?
Regards, Nicki

Nonda Surratt
06-03-2008, 05:45 PM
Nicki,

What an adorable image! I also like the crop. Agree about the stick.

Why you image might look a bit flat on the net, the net is sRGB (many web browsers are not 'color aware' for the most part) and your image is saved as an RGB. It is quite easy to convert your image to sRGB and if your using CS2 I can help.

Long and short posting your image in RGB it could look a bit flat:)

SeanKP
06-03-2008, 05:54 PM
I love this, I really do. I think the unusual crop is fantastic and the composition is splendid.The 'centering' not only doesn't bother me but is actually essential to the final effect. I'm not sure I'd have noticed the upwards stick if Carole hadn't pointed it out but, now she has, I'd prefer if it wasn't there but it's definitely not a deal breaker for me. Not too sure what Carole means by 'flat' either but my monitor sucks and I've still an awful lot to learn too.

Alfred Forns
06-03-2008, 07:36 PM
Big Welcome Nicki !!!! What a composition Love it !!! Very different and works so well.

Agree on the stick and would also like more room at the bottom. The lowest stick is almost touching the frame. While you are at it would clone a little of the two sticking out of the frame and give them some room !!! Big Congrats on this one !!!!

btw Nonda has a huge point on the color space !!!!! Sound advice !!!

Fabs Forns
06-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Great big welcome, Nicki, a great first post of one of my favorite birds, I'm terribly jealous!!!! ;)

Good repost by Alfred, will be looking forward to more and when you get a chance, post you kitties in Family and Friends. We have two girls.

Desmond Chan
06-03-2008, 10:02 PM
Don't know why, but the bird just looks cute to me. Good colors. The repost makes it even better.

Gus Cobos
06-04-2008, 07:20 AM
Welcome Nicki to our BPN family...:)
I like your composition very much...especially the pano look; it really zones in on your subject...No nits from me...Mr. Al took care of what I was going to say...:D Once again, welcome, and looking foward to seeing more of your beautifull work...:cool:

Nicki Gwynn Jones
06-04-2008, 11:20 AM
I am so glad that I decided to join this forum - already I have learned so much! I think that I will be able to figure out the colour space thing. I'll ask if I get stuck. I have PS Elements 6 and am a total novice at digital work - so any and all suggestions are just what I need. Alfred, the reason that I cropped so close to the top and bottom of the picture was to really emphasize the slight wackiness of the image. I agree, it looks better without the stick by his eye - I hadn't even noticed it until Carole pointed it out!!

Thanks and regards to all

Anita Rakestraw
06-06-2008, 03:45 AM
Really cute image and title, Nicki! Welcome to BPN!

Oscar Zangroniz
06-08-2008, 09:21 AM
A little late on commenting on your first post. But what a heck of a nice capture you have here. I love it very much.
Regards,