PDA

View Full Version : Composition Question

Shawn Marques
06-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Hi. This is not my image- it belongs to a friend that lives in Asia. I have a question about the composition.

In the past, I have been told to always leave more room ahead of the bird and to disregard the direction in which the head is turned. In this case, the composition just doesn’t sit right with me- and I know I will get the correct answer from the fine members on this site.

Should the extra space be placed toward the direction the head is facing? Should the head be centered? Where in the frame should a bird be placed when the body is angled one way and then the head the other? Thank you for your input!

Fabs Forns
06-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Hi Shawn,

This would be my preferred crop given that the image is already done.
If I were in front of the same situation, I'd point the camera to the left to place the bird more to the right, given he's looking left. We are giving him more room to look into. Nothing special going on behind him, which would be a mitigating reason lo leave room behind his head. Hope this helps!

Robert O'Toole
06-03-2008, 02:23 PM
Agree with Fabs, Good job.

Robert

Shawn Marques
06-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Thank you, Fabs and Robert. I knew that this was the case but it just plain looks better! But in another critiquing site, in which I learned many bad habits, this isn't the case. But I am slowly luring the nature photographers that post there to BPN, where they will actually learn to do things right!

Robert Amoruso
06-03-2008, 06:45 PM
I agree with Fabs as well.

Maxis Gamez
06-07-2008, 06:13 AM
Hi Shawn,

Fabs post is ideal but both will work just fine. IMO.