PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Wood duck - Ohio wood ducks aren't the only kind

Randy Stout
08-21-2015, 06:22 PM
In Michigan, the wood ducks tend to be much more difficult to work than they are in some other areas. I have gone to Cleveland several times because they used to have a very nice assortment of wood ducks in the local metro parks. Sadly, the photo ops have really dried up recently. I was fortunate to go out with Roy van Loo this spring to work a local vernal pond nearby in Michigan. Not the beautiful water color from the fall foliage, but pretty nice all the same.

D4 600VR with TC14 EFL 850 mm. Shot from my sled blind sitting on the mud around this tiny pond.

Post: 25% crop for comp, selective sharpening, cleaned a few spots in the water. Toned down the brilliant red eye just a bit, as they tend to go oversaturated.

Advice and comments appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

Ian Wilson
08-21-2015, 07:05 PM
The water surface is 'pretty nice' all right, it really makes this image rise above the ordinary. Tasteful composition, good techs, all looks good to me. Regards, Ian.

Joseph Przybyla
08-21-2015, 07:29 PM
I agree with Ian, wonderful image. I look forward to the woods arriving here for the winter. Thank you for sharing, Randy.

Ron Conlon
08-22-2015, 06:56 AM
Just want you to know that here in Cleveland we have carefully cultivated our reputation -- "the mistake on the lake" and "the place where the river caught fire" -- and regard with suspicion those who say nice things about us, especially those from Michigan ;)
Lovley plumage, open mouth and water.

Geoff Newhouse
08-22-2015, 08:29 AM
Very nice classic portrait. Beak open adds to the shot. The water colour/pattern is nice.

TFS
Geoff

Daniel Cadieux
08-22-2015, 09:00 AM
I like this lots, and not going too low has permitted the water texture and ripples to be an integral part of the image.

Bill Dix
08-22-2015, 10:05 AM
Great quacking pose and beautiful colors on this handsome fellow. Nice water too. Looking forward to this year's birds; maybe I'll get lucky this year.

keith mitchell
08-22-2015, 02:01 PM
Lovely detailed detail duck ,sits very well in the nice water and good bg,great calling pose.

Keith.

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-22-2015, 03:59 PM
This is one of the most beautiful ducks in my opinion (shame we don't have them Down Under) and your image of it
does justice to its beauty for sure.
Love the pose, BG and feather details.
TFS!

Randy Stout
08-22-2015, 08:09 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments and thoughts. Much appreciated.

Ron - I surely hope the wood ducks return to North Chagrin, I miss them!

Cheers

Randy