PDA

View Full Version : Am I Gorgeous Or What?!

Shawn Marques
06-03-2008, 12:59 PM
A white ibis in breeding colors. To me, some of the white areas seems bright with lack of detail- just may be from the way I was taught in my previous life before BPN! The PS info indicates that they are fine. Please let me know your thoughts on it. Thanks a million!

Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS USM + 1.4X with Canon 40D
1/80s @ f/8.0, ISO 800
Gitzo carbon fiber tripod, Wimberely head
Taken early evening in overcast skies

Gus Cobos
06-03-2008, 01:06 PM
Nice composition, and exposure. Love the perch. The details on the feathers are clean and the colors are good. I would like to see just a tad of clock wise rotation on the head angle. congrats...I like it...:cool:

Fabs Forns
06-03-2008, 02:27 PM
Very well composed, Shawn, whites look good but I see a slight cast to them. I'd work on the bill shine a little bit. Neat background, try softening the lines on it!

Shawn Marques
06-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Very well composed, Shawn, whites look good but I see a slight cast to them. I'd work on the bill shine a little bit. Neat background, try softening the lines on it!

Hi Fabs. Thanks for your input. The softening of the lines, if you meant where you can see the color change of the green bands I believe looks so-so. I used the patch tool mostly, and a bit of light cloning using the quick mask. Is there a better way I am missing?

But the color cast in the whites is where I am having a hard time. Trying several ways, desaturating the yellow and reds 100% from the white feathers worked best. I am not sure if I like this, as it almost looks like a colored in b&w- but that's me. Do you think it looks okay?

The shine on the bill is a can-do, but I would like to know what you think of the revisions so far before I put in any more time into this image. Thanks again, Fabs! :)

Axel Hildebrandt
06-03-2008, 04:30 PM
Nice pose and BG. The whites don't look overexposed and they might turn gray if you tone them done more. I don't see a color cast on my calibrated monitor.

Joe Senzatimore
06-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Second post looks very good. Just some minor work on the bill. Otherwise a great image.

Robert Amoruso
06-03-2008, 06:36 PM
Shawn,

I think the whites look fine in the original. I did a gray point balance and it looked fine. It may be the underbelly color which does not appear to be a color cast but reflected color.

Fabs Forns
06-03-2008, 09:22 PM
Yes, that's what I meant in the BG, much better. Whites look better on the repost. I do see a hint of pink in the original whites.

Haim Ziv
06-03-2008, 09:39 PM
Love it very much. The repost is great.

Judy Lynn Malloch
06-03-2008, 10:20 PM
Very lovely image and I like the repost Shawn. Very striking pose and composition. !!