PDA

View Full Version : Crabeater Seal...Antarctica

Geoff Newhouse
08-21-2015, 09:26 AM
This was shot last November in Paradise Harbour antarctica, handheld from zodiac. Canon 1D4, 70-200 f/2.8 IS II + 1.4TCIII at 185mm f/4 1/2500 ISO 100.

haseeb badar
08-22-2015, 03:09 AM
Hi Geoff -- beautiful creature , appears to woven in silk !! I dont know abt their behavior but that is real close . i prefer some more detail in the snow real flat it looks and also some more space in the direction it is looking and cropping from top a bit and providing some space at the bottom . A bit more sharpness also , i think u could have stopped down a bit , 1/1000 SS would have been good enough for a stationary Seal. TFS !

Morkel Erasmus
08-22-2015, 09:32 AM
Hi Geoff. I love how your subject is set off against the white snow here.
Cute pose/expression too.
I'm fine with DOF as presented here. Would love to see some more of your shots from Antarctica!

peter delaney
08-23-2015, 04:33 AM
Hi Geoff

Probably one of the most beautiful seals I have seen.
Love it , Beautifully executed

Well done

Peter

Geoff Newhouse
08-25-2015, 08:16 AM
Hi Geoff -- beautiful creature , appears to woven in silk !! I dont know abt their behavior but that is real close . i prefer some more detail in the snow real flat it looks and also some more space in the direction it is looking and cropping from top a bit and providing some space at the bottom . A bit more sharpness also , i think u could have stopped down a bit , 1/1000 SS would have been good enough for a stationary Seal. TFS !

Thanks for the critique. More DOF could have worked but in LR looking at the full res file the DOF covers the entire head easily so I found it okay. 1/2500 was just to compensate from the moving zodiac in uneasy waters. I will disagree about the sharpness...I find that this image is about as tack sharp as they come at least looking at my RAW file. Maybe my jpeg output has left it lacking in the sharpness but even to my eyes as presented the wiskers and eye look sharp to me.

I totally agree about the crop...unfortunately that is the edge of the frame on the left so I would have to add some canvas in PS. I don't use PS too often but I will give it a try with CAF and see how I make out.

Geoff Newhouse
08-25-2015, 08:18 AM
Hi Geoff. I love how your subject is set off against the white snow here.
Cute pose/expression too.
I'm fine with DOF as presented here. Would love to see some more of your shots from Antarctica!

I have a bunch posted in the Avian forum and I will look for a few more non-birds to post here.