PDA

View Full Version : La Push Beach Sunset

Judy Howle
08-19-2015, 11:46 PM
Hello! It's been a long time since I posted a landscape image, most of which were sunsets. I just had a wonderful and productive visit to the Seattle area to visit my sister and have many photos to share, which I'm still working on. This first one is a sunset on the WA coast at La Push beach. I used a little split-toning in Lightroom to enhance the sky and water.

Olympus OM-D E-M1 and 12 - 40mm f2.8 Pro lens.
ISO 200, f4, 1/100s

Morkel Erasmus
08-21-2015, 02:47 PM
Stunning light here!!
The composition is nice enough, I just am bothered by the dark ridge along the edge of visible rocks - possibly due to selective adjustments/masking?
I'd also consider shaving a tad off the bottom, Judy.

Rachel Hollander
08-22-2015, 08:29 AM
Hi Judy - beautiful light and colors. I really like the trees on top of the rocks. Good points by Morkel.

TFS,
Rachel

Don Lacy
08-22-2015, 08:13 PM
Wonderful color Judy and nice placement of the elements within the frame. Personal taste I would crop some more off the bottom and would have went with a longer shutter speed to smooth out the water.

Don Railton
08-22-2015, 10:59 PM
I think Wonderful colour too Judy..! Agree with crop from bottom, nothing else to add..

Don

Jerry van Dijk
08-23-2015, 03:41 PM
Spectacular colors and the rocks provide great subjects to complement them.

Andrew McLachlan
08-23-2015, 08:38 PM
Hi Judy, nice to see you posting in Landscapes...you should stop by more often...this is a lovely scene with gorgeous lighting :)

Judy Howle
08-23-2015, 09:23 PM
Thanks Morkel! I don't know what caused it other than it actually looked like that because I didn't do any masking or selections, I just tweaked the colors and tones (darkened it some) and sharpened it. Those areas were just dark.

Stunning light here!!
The composition is nice enough, I just am bothered by the dark ridge along the edge of visible rocks - possibly due to selective adjustments/masking?
I'd also consider shaving a tad off the bottom, Judy.

Judy Howle
08-23-2015, 09:28 PM
Thanks everyone! I agree about shaving some off of the bottom. I'll do that. I didn't think about a longer shutter speed to smooth the water Don. I was hand-holding and it was quite windy (and cold!) so I tried to keep it up a bit.

dankearl
08-24-2015, 02:33 PM
Very nice Judy.
Maybe a slower SS to smooth out the water?

Judy Howle
09-07-2015, 05:59 PM
Very nice Judy.
Maybe a slower SS to smooth out the water?

Thanks Dan. See my post #9 about SS.

Don Hamilton Jr.
09-20-2015, 06:52 PM
Killer lighting, i do believe you could lose a bit of the bottom..a bit tighter crop. Got to love the atmospheric conditions....