PDA

View Full Version : LONGWOOD MANSION, NATCHEZ, MISS. - THEME

gary ellwein
08-19-2015, 11:34 PM
The image was taken this spring while traveling the Natchez Trace. Post processing included Nik CEP4 Monday Morning and a Shadowhouse texture. I hope there are sufficient flowers in the image to qualify for the theme. I have tried to accentuate them with the PP.

Diane Miller
08-19-2015, 11:53 PM
Gorgeous -- love the framing from the mighty oak!

Anita Bower
08-20-2015, 06:50 AM
The flowers stand out nicely, in part because they are a bright color against the darker ones, and in part because they are nicely framed. I like the frame within a frame: The tree frames the structure; the structure frames the pot of flowers.
I have never found Monday Morning to work for me.

Cheryl Slechta
08-20-2015, 01:59 PM
Hi, Gary, nice use of Monday Morning and I love the framing. I would probably back off of the texture in the sky just a bit.:S3:

Judy Howle
08-20-2015, 11:20 PM
This is an interesting scene with the tree framing the building and the moss and open door and low angle giving a feel of mystery, yet with the pot of colorful flowers keeping it from feeling downright spooky. I could see this, minus the flowers, being darkened a lot and used as a setting for a creepy Halloween image! Maybe add bats coming out of the barn, LOL.

Kerry Perkins
08-20-2015, 11:51 PM
Lots to like here Gary, starting with the flowers. I think they make a wonderful punctuation to the subdued tones of the rest of the image, thereby adding the "power of flowers" to the image. I think it's fine for the theme. I really like the framing provided by the tree trunk on the left and the branches above. Cheryl makes a good point about the texture in the sky, might just brush it back a bit with a mask.

gary ellwein
08-21-2015, 12:46 AM
The texture was reduced in the sky. Cheryl, thanks for pointing it out.

Nancy Bell
08-21-2015, 08:54 AM
This is terrific! Love the startling contrast between the very subdued environment and the bright pinks of flowers on the tree trunk and that huge pot of them! As mentioned above, the elements of framing are very thoughtfully and effectively composed. I like the detailed texture of the rough bark on the oak tree and the rich brown tones of the shed add a visual secondary layer of detail between the bright pinks of the flowers and the low contrast colors and details of the remaining elements. Good fix on the sky.

Mitch Carucci
08-22-2015, 01:15 PM
Very evocative image. Low angle works with all of the foliage, and makes the flowers stand out.