PDA

View Full Version : Blackburnian Warbler

Glenn Bartley
06-03-2008, 11:31 AM
I spent yesterday down around the Long Point area searching out songbirds. I was happy to find this guy singing like crazy on his territory. Unfortunately this territory was in a dark and mosquito infested woodlot. I tried to get some solid images by bumping up the ISO, using 3 flashes on the bird, and selecting a BG area that was partially lit by sun. I'm pretty happy with the results but I would love to hear feedback as to how you think I handles the situation or could do better next time I am faced with such a situation.

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/958/blackburnianwarbler01ka4.jpg

Camera Model: Canon EOS 40D
Shutter speed: 1/80 sec
Aperture: 5.6
Exposure mode: Av
Flash: On - 3 flashes off camera in ETTL mode at -1
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 500
Focal length: 500mm + 1.4x

LouBuonomo
06-03-2008, 11:59 AM
Under the conditions this is an great shot.. I would lose the two bottom leaves the just seem to float and too bad about the back stick but I would love it im my files.

If you haven't check out the buzzoff clothes great against the mosquitos

Lou

Mike Lentz
06-03-2008, 12:56 PM
The green makes for a nice BG and the bird is exposed nicely. I'd also clone out the leaves on the bottom left hand corner.

Fabs Forns
06-03-2008, 02:30 PM
Fantastci image that has a lot going, great detail and sharpness, well exposed and good, if daring compo :) The leaves on the LLC and URC are a nice touch!

John Chardine
06-03-2008, 03:46 PM
This is an outstanding image. The rim-light around each leaf and the fact they seem (remarkably) to be in the same focal plane as the bird really sets it off.

Axel Hildebrandt
06-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Great find and well done. I like the details, composition and BG. The whites seem to have a slight magenta cast on my monitor.

Judy Lynn Malloch
06-03-2008, 10:23 PM
What a beauty Glenn. Beautiful composition and a gorgeous subject. Great pose, color and detail. Like it a lot !!!!!

Nikolay Staykov - shotlandetsa
06-04-2008, 01:28 AM
What a splendid image. The flash stuff was done quite gently and is of real help for the good overall result.

Raymond Barlow
06-04-2008, 02:49 AM
awesome shot!! your flash usage is excellent.

Matthew Studebaker
06-04-2008, 08:25 PM
This has to be one of the best warbler photos I've seen this year, or ever. Great detail, wonderful pose and colors, delicate perch with foliage. Nicely done.

Blake Shadle
06-05-2008, 11:19 AM
This has to be one of the best warbler photos I've seen this year, or ever. Great detail, wonderful pose and colors, delicate perch with foliage. Nicely done.

If that doesn't make you smile Glenn, I don't know what will ;) Very well done. I love the background, and detail in your subject. The bit of pink in the corner sets me off :D