PDA

View Full Version : Hummingbird Moth, still chasing a better catch!

Warren Spreng
08-17-2015, 04:52 PM
I was out watering some flowers when I thought I noticed a rather large wasp darting among the flowers. Finally saw it for what it was and ran in and grabbed my camera and without checking settings I just started shooting away! I usually see these at least once a year so I didn't want to miss a chance to catch a picture of one. I should have laid down flat on the ground but it kept darting among the flowers so I needed to be mobile! These are two of the better shots. I like the first because it shows the furry back and the second one shows the head better. I'll keep my eyes open for another opportunity as I would love to grab one at a higher SS and approaching a flower rather than in it!! Canon T3i, Canon 60mm macro, HH, AF, ISO 800, 1/1000, f/11. Early morning sun at my back, clear skies. Did some cloning of OOF flowers but little else. Their wings never stop and they are rapid!!

Jonathan Ashton
08-19-2015, 06:01 AM
Well caught with a good focus and DOF, I agree the surroundings are not ideal but I am sure sometime the moth will land on the right flower. Have you tried attracting them with sugar water or something like that?

Warren Spreng
08-19-2015, 05:03 PM
Well caught with a good focus and DOF, I agree the surroundings are not ideal but I am sure sometime the moth will land on the right flower. Have you tried attracting them with sugar water or something like that?

Thanks Jonathan, I have not seen them attracted to the feeder. I may try a flower with some sugar water introduced to see if that will bring them in.

Diane Miller
08-19-2015, 08:41 PM
Jeez, this thing is HUGE if those are standard petunias! Good work -- would love to see if you can catch it with a better opportunity! Well done for spur of the moment shots.

Warren Spreng
08-20-2015, 06:02 AM
Jeez, this thing is HUGE if those are standard petunias! Good work -- would love to see if you can catch it with a better opportunity! Well done for spur of the moment shots.

Actually these petunias are about half the size of standards, I would say the moth is about an inch long, otherwise that would be one big moth! :) I'm going to have to set something up to bring the flowers to a more convenient height since this variety hugs the ground. I may try something like a bowl of sugar water since I have never seen it at my hummingbird feeder.

Ron Conlon
08-20-2015, 11:11 AM
I love these guys, and have never been able to capture one to my satisfaction. Keep at it.

David Cowling
08-20-2015, 03:28 PM
Well captured. These things are quick and difficult to photograph. I had one on a fuchsia last year but couldn't get a focus on it. Not seen any this year. Good luck with the sugar water.

Warren Spreng
08-20-2015, 08:47 PM
Thanks Ron and David! They are quick and don't hang around any one flower for very long. He might have been a bit slower since this was fairly early in the morning, so this weekend I'll set some sugar water out early with a flower set up nearby and see what happens!

Sandy Witvoet
08-25-2015, 10:59 AM
Cool captures, Warren! For "spur of the moment", you've got some really nice detail! We had one last year on our deck petunias (about the same color as yours!) We'd been sitting on the deck with the camera... even so, could only grab a few "less than so-so" photos. So, great work on your part! Hope he shows up again for you!

Warren Spreng
08-25-2015, 06:14 PM
Thanks Sandy! I actually walked by my Oak Leaf Hydrangea yesterday and he flew out from there, I planned to run and get my camera but he flew across the pond, so I know he is out there!