PDA

View Full Version : Storm Over the Tetons

Kent Wilson
06-03-2008, 10:14 AM
This photo began as a slide. Camera was a Canon F-1, lens 50mm f/1.8. Sorry, no exposure information was recorded.

I like the dark, moody feeling of the image (perhaps because I am dealing with some broken ribs right now and moody is where my head is!)

I appreciate your taking a look and any comments and suggestions you have.

Roman Kurywczak
06-03-2008, 01:48 PM
Hi Kent,
Sorry to hear about the ribs........ouch! As a recent convert to digital I noticed that you had an issue after the scan...........not major.......but you may want to try it on future scans. I do like the dark mood on this one.....when I usede the coolscan......they always came out darker than my original. I hope you don't mind...........but I took your jpeg into PS and adjusted the mid tone slider about 10 pts lighter to get a bit of detail in the left part of the range and the left sky. I then used USM at amound 20.......Radius 30.......Threshold 0......to make the mts and light rays pop a bit. Very minor difference while staying true to the original. Let me know what you think. You may also want to tone down the blues a bit.......but since I am partial to blues.........I didn't touch them. Otherwise..........Very nicely seen and composed and i do like the mood you presented.
PS This would probably also make a very strong B&W with some work!

Kent Wilson
06-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Thanks, Roman. You are always welcome to fix my photos! :-) Your work certainly improved the image a lot. I scanned the slide on my Canon PIXMA MP950 (combo printer, scanner, and copier. It does make the image darker. I don't know what to do to correct that in the scanning process, so just try to fix it in PS. Any hints about improving scanning (can't afford a really good scanner, and most of my slides were destroyed in floods) would also be appreciated.

This web site is the best investment I have made in photography, thanks to the generous and knowledgeable people who contribute.

Robert Amoruso
06-03-2008, 02:15 PM
I like Roman's small tweaks to the image Kent. I am not inclined to see blue as a color cast here and like how it looks in this image. B&W would probably be great looking as well. Very dark and moody, great composition with diagonals in the clouds and mountains - it works exceptionally well.

Rich Ikerd
06-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Really like the dark moody tone set by the image Kent. The dark upper left clouds strike a nice balance with Mt. Moran as well.

Valerio Tarone
06-03-2008, 03:24 PM
Hi I like very contrasted images! dramatic sky, impressive. I agree with the above writings.

Kent Wilson
06-03-2008, 03:29 PM
Thank you, all, for your encouraging comments.

Roman -- Whey you say you "adjusted the mid tone slider about 10 pts lighter" was that done using Levels? I want to repeat what you did, so I can see better exactly how it is done.

Robert Amoruso
06-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Thank you, all, for your encouraging comments.

Roman -- Whey you say you "adjusted the mid tone slider about 10 pts lighter" was that done using Levels? I want to repeat what you did, so I can see better exactly how it is done.

Kent, he would be talking about the levels adjustment.

Kent Wilson
06-03-2008, 06:46 PM
Thanks, Robert.

Roman Kurywczak
06-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Hi Kent,
Yes it was in levels. In USM (unsharp Mask).....the radius was around 35.
Roman

Paul Marcellini
06-03-2008, 09:16 PM
Wow, i love moody shots and this is at the top of them. Roman's ideas really improved it. Bet it was awesome to see in person.

Ed Cordes
06-03-2008, 10:00 PM
I like this a lot. the mood is just right for an approaching storm over such powerful mountains. The blue is an asset that adds to the overall theme.

Gayle Clement
06-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Very beautiful moody photo.

Vincent Grafhorst
06-04-2008, 01:20 PM
Great photo Kent, I love the mood captured and the composition really works with the pano crop.