PDA

View Full Version : For My Cubs..

Andre Pretorius
08-16-2015, 02:56 PM
After a failed hunt, she briefly drank and rested..
She was focussed on her cubs, finding and feeding them.
They were hidden, we did not not see or see them-her nipples and behaviour told us where she was going...

Kalahari 2012
Nikon D3S with 600F4
1/1250@7,1
ISO 1000

Tried a duotone image here, C&C welcome, please

Karen Pleasant
08-16-2015, 07:03 PM
Really a strong image due to being at eye level, the intent look and the mid step pose. Excellent DOF allows her to stand out from the background. I really like your processing choices.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
08-17-2015, 02:05 AM
Hi Andre, a very powerful image with awesome stance, nice processing and DOF. I like the conversion and composition. TFS. Light seems a bit harsh and you did an excellent job despite that.

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-17-2015, 02:16 AM
She looks great and the side lighting really works for me.
TFS

Steve Kaluski
08-17-2015, 03:14 AM
Hi Andre, nice stalking pose and I very much like the slight body angle too. For me, slightly smaller in frame with a it more below (a tad tight, swop the 600 for the 500) and a hint more to walk into would be good. Personally I'm not sure if the 'Coffee' toning adds to the overall look & feel???? Good detail and I like the fact you have a hint of tone in the whites, nicely controlled.

TFS
Steve

haseeb badar
08-17-2015, 03:19 AM
Hi Andre -- Nice conversion , and POV takes this up a notch . The bright area behind its hump is a bit distracting but more or less u have handled the difficult lighting very well . TFS !

Rachel Hollander
08-17-2015, 06:29 AM
Hi Andre - Nice low pov and angled walking pose. Conversion works but if it were mine I would back off the toning slightly. A bit more room below if you have it would take this up a notch.

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
08-17-2015, 12:40 PM
Hey big brother i really love the frame of this nice lioness !!
Great timing on getting this intense stare of her.Lovely very fine details my boetie , you did very well here . The tones are great too .
The conversion does look well , but i sadly have to agree with Steve K. regarding the toning , i will not ask if it helps the image , just think it does not fit very well to my eyes . But this is oh so subjective from my POV.
The framing could be a bit wider , so if you have i would try and see !!!

Lovely work Andre, your PP does come onto a nice track from my POV .

TFS

Andre Pretorius
08-17-2015, 01:40 PM
Thank you all for comments and suggestions.
Have posted this stunning girl before, as she was resting, see http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/112996
She got up, and walked with intent past us. I only had the 600 then, Steve...This is almost FF, just cropped a bit from behind and on top for comp.
I have used Black and Pantone ink for the duo tone, did not like "coffee". Love Nespresso but this coffee was bad. Struggled with the curves on Duo-tones, can one put this on a layer?
I am attaching the B&W conversion, was a bit flat to me....

Steve Kaluski
08-17-2015, 01:50 PM
The problem Andre is that any Duo, Tri or Quadtone is an 8 bit, another loss of IQ. From recollection, NO you cannot do this as a layer, but Save as, convert, then drag and drop onto another layer perhaps, but remember you have to have the same Colour profile. From experience there are only a few pre sets that work, but ultimately it comes down to the original and the tonal balance.