PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Amphibian - Frog hanging out

Randy Stout
08-16-2015, 01:51 PM
This fine fellow was hanging out in my backyard this AM. I didn't see him until the sun was quite bright, but by using a light screen to knock down the brightness a bit, the highlights behaved themselves.

I was about 10" away, leaning on my side, holding the camera in one hand and the light screen in the other. Very cooperative fellow!

Olympus EM5 60mm Macro f/16 1/125s ISO 1600 Handheld

Post: Cleaned up some spots in the water and bg, softened the upper bg, added a sliver. Multiply layer to help tone down remaining highlights.

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

Warren Spreng
08-16-2015, 08:42 PM
Love the rock he is on and the focus on the eye. The dark BG gives the impression that he is in a cave, nicely done!

David Cowling
08-18-2015, 09:57 AM
I like the low view point you have taken for this image as it helps us to see the underside of the amphibian. Nice and sharp and beautifully exposed with the eye being the focal point. I don't usually like black BGs, but I find it works for this image. Thanks for sharing.

Diane Miller
08-18-2015, 10:32 PM
He looks like a garden sculpture -- well done with great control of light!

Looks like focus is on his side more than his mouth but the rock face is sharp -- maybe some motion blur? The eye is sharp, that's what matters.

Jonathan Ashton
08-19-2015, 06:05 AM
Great pose I lke the lighting and the surroundings - a very appealing image.

Randy Stout
08-19-2015, 08:42 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments. It really is almost like a small cave where he is setting. There is an overhanging ledge from stacked stone, with a recess behind him which is shady.

I will review the series I took and see if I have one with the focus point just a bit more anterior. Even at f/16, not much DOF at that distance. I was hand holding, and usually try to shoot a series with the focus point on different areas to get the best overall compromise of sharpness/dof.

Cheers

Randy

Ron Conlon
08-20-2015, 11:13 AM
As pointed out by others, wanting a little more snout in focus, but great pose and composition.

Randy Stout
08-20-2015, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the comments. I have reposted with some snout sharpening. Let me know what you think.

Cheers

Randy

Jonathan Ashton
08-21-2015, 05:05 AM
The snout is more clearly defined, the first image didn't trouble me but I think I prefer the second.

Satish Ranadive
08-27-2015, 12:19 AM
Excellent image in very nice environment with nice BG.
Snout looks sharp in RP.

Regards,
satish.