PDA

View Full Version : Cormorant Silhouette

Stu Bowie
08-16-2015, 11:25 AM
Im testing the waters here ( pun not intended ) Does this work. Visiting the Pilanesberg National Park last weekend, this fellow was perched directly infront of the hide, which meant that I was shooting directly into the low sun. As I enjoy my reflections, I thought the added semi clear reflection was an added bonus. I was set up for other shots, thus the high settings, so this was a grab shot to capture the moment. Taken early morning. This is full frame.

Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 300mm F/2.8 +2X TC = 600mm
1/8000
F/7.1
ISO 1000

Hand held

William Dickson
08-16-2015, 11:45 AM
Hi Stu, Lovely frame and it works for me I would also like to see a crop, without the reflection. I tried that, and it worked for me even better :S3: Great capture, thanks for sharing

WDYT

Will

Randy Stout
08-16-2015, 12:57 PM
Stu:

Fun to try new looks, for sure. Very strong graphic feel to it.

My reservations are two fold: I wish there was a bit more detail or ripples in the water to better define the water. As is, the silhouette seems to be floating in limbo, vaguely unsettling for me.
Even more than a standard reflection image, I think the reflection has to be very good to make it work its best. If the head was a bit clearer in the reflection, that would help.

Great to stretch and keep exploring new things.

Cheers

Randy

adrian dancy
08-16-2015, 09:30 PM
It is difficult to tell if this will work in my view. If the bird is sharp then yes. I think silhouettes are best when the subject is not entirely blacked out, that is to say, I like a hint of detail to help with the form. The ripple would have been better on body than on the bird's head. Hard to control such matter looking through a view finder IMHO. Nice work Stu.

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-16-2015, 09:41 PM
I see what Adrian meant about the ripple through the reflection's head, but I still love these types of shots very much.
Nice thinking and work Stu!
Thanks for sharing!

Stu Bowie
08-16-2015, 11:05 PM
Thanks a stack for the honest feedback everyone.

Geoff Newhouse
08-17-2015, 09:19 AM
Beautiful abstract, artsy image. I prefer the original composition with reflection to the tight crop.

TFS
Geoff

Rachel Hollander
08-17-2015, 09:57 AM
Hi Stu - Always great to spread our wings a bit and experiment (pun intended). I like the graphic nature to this, you could also use "Threshold" in PS for this. I prefer the op and think it is apparent that it is a reflection. It works for me.

TFS,
Rachel

David Salem
08-17-2015, 06:26 PM
Great looking shot Stu. I like the OP but I might try to clean up the reflection a bit. Nice work.

Tony Whitehead
08-19-2015, 12:33 AM
I like the graphic nature of this image, Stu. To maximise the effect I would push it to pure B&W by pulling the BG to pure white with levels

Stu Bowie
08-19-2015, 11:40 AM
Hey Tony, your high key finish here does it more justice than the visible water. Thanks a stack.