PDA

View Full Version : Theme Margay magic

Marc Mol
08-16-2015, 08:51 AM
I was most fortunate to encounter this female Margay wild cat, whilst staying at the Arenal Observatory Lodge in Costa Rica recently, the first anyone had seen of her in a month and our timing couldn't have been better as we had just driven up.
She was released back into the wild several years ago and has now a kitten which it kept very well hidden.
It has totally habituated back into the wild and evidenced by a successful mating with a wild male, just a wonderful success story.:cheers:

These small cats are highly endangered through all of Central America and I'm not sure if this is the first time posting of one in Wildlife?

Her BG here:
"Tica" was originally rescued by a farmer in Monterrey who took her home with him where she was accepted and nursed by his pet cat. The kitten spent her time playing with his 3 children, until Phil and Jeanie adopted her. Tica grew up in freedom and as a member of the family with Phil and Jeanie @ Arenal Observatory Lodge. They bottle-fed her initially, and then introduced meat. As she grew Tica gradually began to leave the house to go into the forest, returning periodically to the house for food. As time passed her visits to the house became more sporadic – every week, then every 2 weeks, then once a month, etc. When she did return to the house and the surrounding areas, the hotel guests were sometimes lucky enough to see her.

As with most tropical/jungle environments, lighting was at a premium, I selectively reduced the BG exp by 1 stop. F/F, was backed up to a steep slope and at my widest with this lens, hence the cut tail and rock wall were unavoidable.:e3

D4s 80-400 AF-S 1/80s f/4.5 1000 ISO@ 80mm.

C & C most welcome

Cheers
Marc

Gabriela Plesea
08-16-2015, 10:04 AM
Hello Marc,

Wow, I did not know this species existed, wonderful capture of this Margay Wild Cat - what stunning patterns on the fur, love the rosettes and elongated lines, as well as those lovely big eyes!

I did a search on the species few minutes ago and learnt more about the Margay, I soon realised how special this sighting was to you. Indeed Marc, opportunity well taken - well exposed and nice texture on the fur, looks so velvety I want to touch it:) Love those eyes and the reflection in them, nice detail overall. Subject stands out well against the leafy BG, don't mind the missing end of the tail - I understand the circumstances.

Truly a special image, congratulations on this capture, this is the first time I see this beautiful wild thing on BPN!

Kind regards,

Rachel Hollander
08-16-2015, 11:09 AM
Hi Marc - What a fortunate and lucky sighting! Thanks for also telling her story. Those big eyes are great and you did well given the opportunity and circumstances of the sighting. One to enjoy for sure.

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
08-16-2015, 11:40 AM
Hi Marc big congrats for this capture , i guess a not often photographed cat , just saw them in captivity somewhere in a Zoo .
Image does look good as presented from technical POV , well done Marc :wave:

TFS Andreas

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
08-16-2015, 12:17 PM
Congrats Marc on this amazing sighting. Never knew of its existence till your post. Lovely cat and surely a sighting to remember.

BenBotha
08-16-2015, 01:39 PM
Thanks for sharing, I agree with the comments.

Ben

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-16-2015, 10:01 PM
Wow! I think I know of this cat! Perhaps it's the same on my friend JCV has photographed a few times?
Your luck is the same as mine. I'd probably experience the same as you. Turn up take a shot and bingo.

Surprised you could get this close at 80mm though. But just read the rehab notes, so perhaps not surprised after all. :bg3:

Shame you couldn't frame looser either, but you take what you get with this rare beauty! :cheers:

Well done mate, thanks for sharing.

haseeb badar
08-17-2015, 03:31 AM
Hi MArc -- Nice to see u posting once again ! Congrats on the sighting and well captured image too. Those eyes are a real treat , and the patterns on the velvety coat looks just brilliant . Thanks for sharing this image with that beautiful story.

Morkel Erasmus
08-17-2015, 08:55 AM
Very nice, Marc.
The cut tail is not a big issue given that we are treated to such a stunning close up view of a rare cat.
You handled the light well - might darken overall light tones a bit more though?

Andre Pretorius
08-17-2015, 11:27 AM
Hi Marc

All said above, very special capture of a cat I didn't even know exists- just shows my ignorance...
Just wonder why you haven't pumped the ISO for faster S/S? 1/80 HH can cause my blood pressure to rise substantially:bugeyed:

Marc Mol
08-17-2015, 01:21 PM
Appreciate the comments everyone, many thanks.

Just wonder why you haven't pumped the ISO for faster S/S? 1/80 HH can cause my blood pressure to rise substantially:bugeyed:

Yes point taken, hindsight is a wonderful thing,:w3 however I was @ 80mm and VR on the 80-400 is excellent.