PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow at the Grand Canyon

Rachel Hollander
08-15-2015, 09:34 AM
While Monsoon Season at the Grand Canyon brings heavy rains, it also often brings rainbows. This was taken from the North Rim at sunset. A storm rolled in on the South Rim and the rainbow appeared. I waited for the light to also hit the distant rim.

Canon 5D3
70-200 II @ 168mm
1/40
f11
ISO 100
Tripod, 2 stop GND filter, slight crop to straighten, levels, curves, sharpened in CCPS.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Gabriela Plesea
08-16-2015, 12:35 PM
Dearest Rachel,

No wonder they call it the Grand Canyon!

Wonderful image so rich in colour (gold and copper), as my eyes climbed with those mountains and the rainbow I connected with a sudden desire to travel. I realise there is always in the world more than I can possibly see, but thanks to technology it is easier to reach beauty - so a big thank you Rachel, for this glorious landscape in vivid sunlight - it made me pay attention. Love the subdivided sunshine sprinkled above the gleaming mountain tops, it made me "paint" your image with words - such an attractive place and I would love to see it one day!

Warmest regards,

Morkel Erasmus
08-16-2015, 04:57 PM
The array of colours spanning yellow to red and back again just rocks here, Rachel.
Of course the image design in layers and the amazing light coupled with the rainbow don't hurt either...
Looking forward to more!

Diane Miller
08-16-2015, 10:35 PM
Stunning view, but I'd be interested in a comparison with a little more shadow detail in raw conversion, and maybe a squeak cooler WB. Maybe then some Vibrance.

Don Railton
08-16-2015, 11:27 PM
What a wonderful image Rachel...!! I have been 'off air' for the last 3 weeks having a hand operated on and to come back to an image like that is quite something... I don't have any suggestions...

Don

Don Lacy
08-17-2015, 03:07 PM
Love the color, tones and layers of the image not much more you can ask for.

Stu Bowie
08-18-2015, 01:18 PM
Hi Rachel, you certainly made the most from your trip looking at this image - well thought out and planned ( waiting for the light to hit the right areas :w3 ) What hits me in this image is the flatness of the top of the rim, and then on top of that, the layer of colours are simply stunning. Great work.

Rachel Hollander
08-18-2015, 09:12 PM
Thanks everyone, I'm glad you like this one.

Valerio Tarone
08-19-2015, 03:48 PM
Rachel, you captured a fabulous moment! I agree with the above written.

Andrew McLachlan
08-23-2015, 08:30 PM
Hi Rachel, I absolutely love this image....fabulous :)

Rachel Hollander
08-24-2015, 07:27 AM
Thanks Valerio and Andrew, much appreciated.