View Full Version : Peacock Butterfly Feeding On Milkweed

David Cowling
08-14-2015, 02:51 PM
Taken with Canon 7D Mk2 Canon 100-400 Mk2

1/200 sec @ f16 ISO 400. Metz 15 MS-1 Macro Flash

Developed in ACR and Photoshop 6

Steve Maxson
08-15-2015, 10:03 AM
Hi David. I like the head-on, eye-level shooting angle and the butterfly is posing nicely with its proboscis in the flower. Very good sharpness where you most need it. This is a strong image, as presented, and a few tweaks might make it even better. You might consider toning down the bright stem in the upper right of the frame and you might also remove the bit of leaf in the LLC. As the butterfly is facing slightly to our right, you might add a little more room on that side of the frame - if you have it - or you could crop a bit off the left. This is well done!

John Robinson
08-15-2015, 01:46 PM
Yes - a different approach. very nice.
JohnR

Randy Stout
08-16-2015, 02:06 PM
David:

My thoughts ran along those of Steve's before I read any comments. Minor tweaks, but will put a bit of polish on a strong image. I particularly like the balance of flash and natural light here.

Cheers

Randy

Jonathan Ashton
08-19-2015, 06:07 AM
Unusual image I like the colours and exposure -from this angle I would not have accurately identified it, I would have guessed red admiral.

David Cowling
08-19-2015, 04:35 PM
Thanks everybody for the feedback, I will certainly carry out the suggested tweeks before printing for club competition. You may well be correct with your ID Jonathan, butterfly ID is not one of my strong suites.

David