PDA

View Full Version : Theme It is hot and i am soooo tired

Andreas Liedmann
08-14-2015, 04:54 AM
Hi all just an image of this tired looking White Rhino who settled herself to rest in the heat of late morning somewhere in Africa .
Got this mother with very large calf very close to the road , there was a small traffic jam at that spot due to the rhinos , after all other cars went i finally got my close ups .Before they have been very nervous cause of all the cars driving up and down at that spot ,they could have moved away easily into the bush but they seem to want to rest under those trees at that spot .Finally they made it :S3:.

Canon EOS 1D MK IV
EF 500 IS L
HH
F8 ; Iso 400 ; 1/320sec

Processed with DPP 4 and PS CC ; slight crop for comp

Thanks for looking and leaving comment to my previous thread

Cheers Andreas

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
08-14-2015, 05:23 AM
HI Andreas, I like the comp and the resting pose of the Rhino. You handled the light well and have very nice details and sharpness. TFS.
Regards,
Sanjeev

Rachel Hollander
08-14-2015, 06:08 AM
Hi Andreas - Looks like your patience paid off. I like the tilted head and the vertical comp. You handled the uneven light well with plenty of detail and texture brought out. If it were mine I would tame the bright grass to the left of the rhino.

TFS,
Rachel

haseeb badar
08-14-2015, 08:43 AM
Hi Andreas -- This image has some different feel , i liked this one especially the pressed mouth of the Rhino against the surface. the details are good and the comp works well also u have handled the light very well . I also think those grass blades are distracting either clone it out tame it down. TFS !

Joseph Przybyla
08-14-2015, 02:22 PM
Lovely image, Andreas. Nice to see they still live in spite of all that is against their survival. Thank you for sharing.

Morkel Erasmus
08-15-2015, 05:56 AM
Nicely framed on this lazy guy.
Given the textures and contrasty light, have you tried a B&W Andreas?
I'd increase contrast here to make the lit up parts stand out more?

Gabriela Plesea
08-15-2015, 07:38 AM
Hello Andreas,

I particularly like the framing here and pose from the subject. Although your rhino is resting, she looks almost "defeated", so an image symbolic of the fate of the species.

In terms of colour this is almost where I would want it to be, I could find no colour casts and yet I am not sure what this lacks (if indeed it lacks anything). Perhaps Morkel has a point there with the contrast?

Overal a beautiful capture and I spent a great deal of time viewing, very evocative and I shall revisit with fresh eyes soon:)

Warmest regards Boetie, have a lovely week-end!

Andreas Liedmann
08-16-2015, 08:28 AM
Thanks so much folks for your feedback and comments as always much appreciated.
I partly agree with the grass stems so i reworked them and added some contrast for Morkel and maybe Gabriela :t3, so for me the difference is not that big but acceptable :bg3:, thanks folks .

See you , Andreas

Marc Mol
08-16-2015, 08:54 AM
I like this Andreas, good/low POV with the subtle contrast RP working well, the pose really sums up the terrible plight this species is going through.

TFS

Gabriela Plesea
08-16-2015, 10:50 AM
I like the RP more, Andreas!

Thank you Boetie:)

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-17-2015, 01:59 AM
It's an interesting image Andreas. Not in the most ideal light, but I feel you made the best out of the
opportunity. I think the RP is better too.
TFS!

Steve Kaluski
08-17-2015, 04:07 AM
Hi Andreas, always nice to see a Rhino, in any shape or form, so thanks for posting.

I like the overall comp, but feel more of a Curves adjustment would have been better rather than Contrast, but personal preference. As the Rhino was quite happy lying there I might have swopped bodies to the 1DX and cranked both ISO and added more DoF to perhaps f/11?

TFS
Steve

BenBotha
08-17-2015, 08:00 AM
I like your re post more. The rest has been said. TFS.
Ben

Andreas Liedmann
08-17-2015, 12:34 PM
Thanks going to Marc, Akos , Gabriela , Steve and Ben for your comments , as always much appreciated .:wave:

Steve - i never use the contrast slider , never ever !!! So if you thought i did , you have been on the wrong track :bg3:, can happen . Actually two curves layers with blend modes applied , but certainly masked :c3:.
Yes at time of my shooting when all crowds left , i could have swopt the cams , but i try avoid change cameras in the field due to all that lovely dust and dirt that is all over the place in the car . So i rather stick with the lens that is on the camera and accept the missing options in terms of glass/ cam combo .

Thanks again , Andreas

Steve Kaluski
08-17-2015, 12:54 PM
Steve - i never use the contrast slider , never ever !!! So if you thought i did , you have been on the wrong track, can happen. Actually two curves layers with blend modes applied , but certainly masked

I'd increase contrast here to make the lit up parts stand out more?

It was in relation to Morkel's comment.

but i try avoid change cameras in the field due to all that lovely dust and dirt that is all over the place

True, but occasionally you have to bite the bullet, forget a car, try a hi speed zodiac!!! :Whoa!:

Andreas Liedmann
08-17-2015, 01:20 PM
Ok Steve , thanks for clarification did not get the relation to Morkel´s comment :wave:.
Have you bit the bullet recently up north , or where does the high speed zodiac idea come from ? Well i guess at the rhino location a zodiac would have been pretty useless , unless it would have been working as a Hoovercraft ......... oooooohhhhhh even more dust :eek3:.

Steve Kaluski
08-17-2015, 02:15 PM
Have you bit the bullet recently up north

Not quite the 'north' you are referring too, more 81.67 degrees. :S3: Agree on the hovercraft :bg3:.