PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Long Bill - White-faced Ibis on Swan Lake

John Hackney
08-13-2015, 10:49 PM
I was lucky to capture this shot before the lake flat dried up for the summer. Captured in early morning light. Cropped and removed some birds from the upper right.

adrian dancy
08-14-2015, 12:11 AM
Excellent work John. You have captured some nice iridescence and that single feather showing on the wing is amazing. I would brighten the image a tad and in so doing you might just bring up some dark shadow areas. I can see some slight head movement. It is unfortunate that you have not indicated exif data and operating system details.

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-14-2015, 02:34 AM
It is a bit of a bummer that you had the out of focus grasses on the right of the bird, looks a little cloned in the water under the tail. You can probably see what I mean, even if that is just the natural look from the OOF grasses.
I can also see some unsharpness due to what is head movement, providing the EXIF is important so we can make suggestions that can help every one of us improve.
THe light is lovely and I am digging the sheen on the plumage.
Many thanks for sharing John. Hope to see more pix. :S3:

gail bisson
08-14-2015, 06:16 AM
The iridescence and open bill are very nice.
Unfortunately, the head is soft as Akos and Adrian have already pointed out.
I would also have cleaned up the water in PP.
Gail

Geoff Newhouse
08-14-2015, 07:58 AM
Very nice looking bird, good sense of action with open bill and head downturned. Head towards us a bit more would be even better. I would crop this much tighter, the reflection does nothing for this image and the OOF grass on the lower right is not helping at all.

TFS
Geoff

John Hackney
08-15-2015, 12:38 AM
Thank you for the comments. I wrestled with a little brightening. My bad on the Exif data. Canon 7dII + Canon 1001-400 mk II + EF 1.4 TC mk III, 1/1000 ss, ISO 250, f/8.

John Hackney
08-15-2015, 12:41 AM
It is a bit of a bummer that you had the out of focus grasses on the right of the bird, looks a little cloned in the water under the tail. You can probably see what I mean, even if that is just the natural look from the OOF grasses.
I can also see some unsharpness due to what is head movement, providing the EXIF is important so we can make suggestions that can help every one of us improve.
THe light is lovely and I am digging the sheen on the plumage.
Many thanks for sharing John. Hope to see more pix. :S3:

Thank you for your comments. I was a little bummed with the head motion but it shows the bird with a snack so I feel OK with it. Under the tail was where I tried to remove a couple of birds from the shot and it come out the worst. Need to work on my PP there.

John Hackney
08-15-2015, 12:43 AM
The iridescence and open bill are very nice.
Unfortunately, the head is soft as Akos and Adrian have already pointed out.
I would also have cleaned up the water in PP.
Gail

Thanks for your reply. Could you explain the water clean up you would do?

John Hackney
08-15-2015, 12:45 AM
Very nice looking bird, good sense of action with open bill and head downturned. Head towards us a bit more would be even better. I would crop this much tighter, the reflection does nothing for this image and the OOF grass on the lower right is not helping at all.

TFS
Geoff
Thanks for your reply. I went with a larger crop due to the head motion. I agree on the head position. I will give a shot to everyones' thoughts and see what comes of it.

John Hackney
08-15-2015, 01:11 AM
Here is another attempt.