PDA

View Full Version : Monsoon Sunset at the Grand Canyon

Rachel Hollander
08-13-2015, 07:50 AM
I just returned from a few days at the Grand Canyon. We spent time on both the North and South Rims. I think the North Rim actually provided more interesting compositions and opportunities. Here's one taken at sunset from the lodge patio. It had rained most of the day but the sun broke through before sunset. For me, clouds make the image. Btw even though I had my 16-35 lens with me, I found myself shooting almost exclusively with my 70-200 to isolate parts of the Canyon. Since my trip to the sand dunes of Namibia the 70-200 has been my favorite landscape lens and it remained so for this trip.

Canon 5D3
70-200 II @ 110mm
1/10
f10
ISO 100
Tripod, 2 stop GND filter, levels, curves, luminosity mask, selective color adjustments and LCE in CCPS.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
08-13-2015, 08:29 AM
Hi Rachel lovely layered comp both in tones and color , glad you get finally some nice light for the sunset !!!

I like all the different cloud formations you captured in one frame . Overall for me the image is a bit flat in the tones , but this could be just me .Watch the slight haloing along the ridge and what is the pine good for in LLC , anchor of the image ? :bg3: i think you just overlooked this in post .

Must be great to visit this place

TFS Andreas

Stu Bowie
08-13-2015, 09:22 AM
Hi Rachel, I like how the sun is cast on top of the two outcrops, together with the wispy clouds meandering through the canyon. I would like to see a vertical so we could see the depth of the canyon, but Im sure you managed to capture all sorts of images on your trip.

Glad you are back safe and sound. What a lovely sight to greet you from your patio.

Rachel Hollander
08-14-2015, 06:16 AM
Thanks Andreas and Stu. Andreas - that will teach me to do a quick pp while away. You are right I just missed the branch in the llc. Stu - in many places, particularly on the North Rim, you can't see or capture the full depth of the Grand Canyon because of the topography of the Canyon.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Andrew McLachlan
08-14-2015, 07:49 PM
Hi Rachel, beautiful composition and yes the clouds make the image for me too :) Andreas touched on what I noted too - flatness and treetop. The lower section of the canyon is what appear a little too flat to me...a touch of contrast or even Nik Detail Extractor should give it the lift to make it perfect. TFS!

Rachel Hollander
08-15-2015, 09:13 AM
Thanks Andrew, much appreciated.

Gabriela Plesea
08-15-2015, 11:54 AM
Hello Rachel,

What an amazing place to photograph!

I have always considered myself partial to deserts and the African bush but I admit I found this frame so refreshing. Just like the desert with its endless dunes, this landscape made me realise how small the space I occupy on this planet and how many places exist of which I know nothing or very little. This is perhaps as overwhelming as the desert to me, surely not empty of life because I see trees and grass and I imagine there is water and animals too. I like those gashes and fissures in the rock, they speak of the events and pressures of millennia, the mountains are spread out in seeming infinity on the horizon, shrouded in parts by thin cloud - I can only begin to imagine the night skies from your patio and those mountain peaks in Moonlight, and I am sure being there felt pleasurable as well as morally good:) And I love the delightful stillness you have captured, I am certain you returned inspired by what you saw and feeling privileged to witness such greatness.

Superb image Rachel and so inspiring, thank you for sharing, a pleasure to view:)

Warmest regards,

Morkel Erasmus
08-16-2015, 04:36 PM
Fabulous view, light and weather conditions with the lingering clouds and the light coming out at just the right time, Rachel! :5
I love using the 70-200 for landscapes, and let's be honest the ultra-wide angle view doesn't work half as well as we'd like to believe most of the time because of the distortion of distant objects.
How about cropping the remove the treetop coming in bottom left?

Diane Miller
08-16-2015, 10:31 PM
Clone out the tree and bring down the black point and you have a stunning shot here!

Don Lacy
08-17-2015, 03:09 PM
Wonderful view I agree on what others have touched on when it comes to the tree and adding contrast to the darker tones.

Rachel Hollander
08-18-2015, 09:14 PM
Thanks Gabriela, Morkel, Diane and Don. I appreciate the comments and suggestions.

Thanks again,
Rachel