PDA

View Full Version : Frog-scape

Andrew McLachlan
08-12-2015, 08:30 PM
Bullfrog among lily pads on Horseshoe lake near Parry Sound, Ontario at dusk, created with a Sigma 15mm Fisheye Lens on a Nikon D800 using the 1.5 DX crop on the D800 for an effective focal length of 22mm...the Sigma Fisheye Lens focuses down to 5.5 inches, which is about how far away I was from the frog. Also, I was using the Live View feature while handholding from a canoe...my preferred way to photograph Bullfrogs.

Nikon D800
Sigma 15mm Fisheye Lens
ISO 1600 (it was getting rather late in the day)
f5.6 @ 1/30 sec
Hand-Held
Live View

haseeb badar
08-13-2015, 05:26 AM
Hi Andrew -- excellent POV with beautiful greens and a touch of purple here and there ! that eye is very sharp and the composition works well , though a bit more space on the LHS might have also worked. TFS !
Can u pls elaborate how it helps shooting live view in such situations ??

Rachel Hollander
08-13-2015, 07:10 AM
Hi Andrew - I always like your bullfrog images taken from the canoe and this is no exception. I really like that we can see above and below the water. Vertical orientation works though I can also see a version with the water edge as the top of the frame.

TFS,
Rachel

Mike Poole
08-13-2015, 07:51 AM
Coming from an underwater background, I absolutely love close focus wide angle shots, and this one really fits the bill. Brilliant to be able to see through the water, that really adds the extra element. I agree that a tad more on the left would be nice, but the details are bang on the money
Mike

Nancy Bell
08-13-2015, 11:30 AM
You used the fisheye lens extremely effectively with this bullfrog for a down low POV. Love that you can see through the water and see the legs and submerged leaves. I agree with Rachel about a version cropping away the top down to the water to focus entirely on the frog and the water. A few bright spots you might want to tone down in the upper edges of the water. Andrew, you have made frogs such interesting and attractive subjects that now I am starting to look for them to photograph :wave:!

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
08-13-2015, 02:06 PM
Great low POV and you made that fish eye lens really sing here. Sharp where it matters and nice comp.

Andrew McLachlan
08-14-2015, 07:38 PM
Thanks folks, much appreciated...I have numerous horizontal versions of this guy too, once processed I will post one of them...with less background showing :)

Andrew McLachlan
08-14-2015, 07:43 PM
Hi Andrew -- excellent POV with beautiful greens and a touch of purple here and there ! that eye is very sharp and the composition works well , though a bit more space on the LHS might have also worked. TFS !
Can u pls elaborate how it helps shooting live view in such situations ??

Hi Haseeb, often when I am photographing these frogs from the canoe I am able to get the canoe to within roughly 1.5 to 2 feet of the frog. I will then kneel or sit in the bottom of the canoe and using the Live View feature reach out across the remaining distance, holding the camera at the water's surface (often the lens hood is dipping into the lake). Live View allows me to properly compose the scene and place the focus point on the frog's eye. This technique works very well on over-cast days...on sunny days shadows can become problematic, whether it is my shadow or a shadow from the lens hood.

Morkel Erasmus
08-15-2015, 06:11 AM
Andrew, great to have you posting here again.
Rachel said it all - this is your niche and you do it so well! Loved viewing this perspective.

Gabriela Plesea
08-15-2015, 09:20 AM
I can only agree with comments above, this is stunning!

Fantastic colours and superb composition, I like the DOF and the way the subject "enters" the scene.

Hope you share more images Andrew, one frog every now and then it's just not enough:t3, give us some more! I so enjoyed this:)

Kind regards,

Andreas Liedmann
08-16-2015, 08:32 AM
Hi Andrew i always enjoy watching your bull froggie images and this is no exception , very well executed !! :5
No crits from my side for improving this

TFS Andreas

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-17-2015, 01:58 AM
Man!
That is one rocking image! Really love the POV
Just superb!
TFS

Steve Kaluski
08-17-2015, 04:09 AM
Great work Andrew, superb perspective!!! :cheers:

TFS