PDA

View Full Version : Theme Giant moray eel

Mike Poole
08-12-2015, 04:45 PM

I enjoyed revisiting some old shots when looking for an entry for this months theme, so here's another from a couple of years ago.

It's another from a site whose name I've forgotten - I really should log my dives! - but I remember the encounter well. This fine specimen allowed me a nice close approach (0.52m according to the exif). In fact, treated respectfully, Morays are actually quite placid despite their fearsome looks, so I made a slow movement towards him from below, ensuring he had his own space to swim away above and to the side of me, as well as the option of retreating into his hole. The rest of the divers thought I was a bit nuts, but that opinion isn't just limited to divers!

Kicked myself a little bit later, as I should have turned my left strobe inwards more which would have given me a nicer black background on the left of the frame as less light would have fallen on the reef behind, but we live and learn.

Canon 7d in a Subal housing
60mm
ISO 200
1/160th f8
2 x inon z240 strobes

Thanks for all previous comments

Mike

Nancy Bell
08-12-2015, 05:59 PM
This is such a menacing close-up of this Moray that I don't even notice the bkgd. You could select the bkgd and adjust it darker with curves if you wish. I am totally taken by the open mouth, the teeth, the eye, the blue outlines of the head details and those nostrils that completely fill the image. I like this total visual immersion. It is extremely attention getting and actually makes me want to pull back. This is something us land lubbers will never see and I thank you very much for your images. Well done!

Andrew McLachlan
08-12-2015, 08:31 PM
Absolutely beautiful!!!

Rachel Hollander
08-12-2015, 09:11 PM
Hi Mike - Lots to look at and absorb here from the menacing teeth to the colors and other facial features. I also don't mind the bg. The reef is the eel's natural habitat. It has definitely been worth it for you to go through your files. I continue to enjoy your underwater images. I would apply another round of sharpening.

TFS,
Rachel

christopher galeski
08-13-2015, 02:25 AM
very nice Keith,love the teeth,enjoy your underwater images.TFS.

haseeb badar
08-13-2015, 05:32 AM
Hi Mike -- Like everyone else i too am enjoying ur underwater images . absolutely amazing work. this one is another good image with the creature popping out of my screen . i too thought that it needs some sharpening or contrast for added punch . TFS.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
08-13-2015, 02:12 PM
Mike, superb image of the eel, great colours, the eye and the open mouth and sharp teeth add so much here. Great work.

Andreas Liedmann
08-14-2015, 06:29 AM
Hi Mike another well executed and nicely framed UW image .
Yes they do look fearful these Moray Eels , do not know if you are nuts , if so you did the right thing for me :bg3:.

Lovely colors and comp , from the tonal POV it does look a bit" too" flashed , if you push a bit more tone into the eel you can lower the effect (but use a lumo mask to control where the effect is taking place ) . Just my thoughts .

TFS Andreas

Mike Poole
08-15-2015, 04:59 PM
Thanks everyone, all points noted and stored for future learning.

Mike

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-17-2015, 01:31 AM
Really beautiful image Mike!
Wish I had this kind of gear available 20 years ago when I started to take photos underwater.

Lovely textures in the eel's skin and I just love these guys! Cool as!

TFS!