PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Tiger Swallowtail

Joseph Przybyla
08-12-2015, 01:07 PM
Dottie and I put in a butterfly garden in the backyard this year. The fruits of our labor are beginning to pay off. I captured this image of an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail today. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing

Nikon D7000
Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED shot at 220mm (330mm FFE)
1/2000 F/11 Matrix Metering 0 EV ISO 1250 AWB
Post processed in Lightroom 6 and Photoshop Elements 10
Cropped for composition and presentation

Nancy Bell
08-12-2015, 04:44 PM
Capturing the butterfly in this pose of just opening the wings makes this unique and interesting. Some may not like the blurred wing tips but I like the tension that motion adds. And the U shape of the wings takes your eye right to those brilliant blues. The symmetry of the butterfly makes a beautiful composition. The vertical format is perfect, as is the soft green bkgd. Congrats on the payoff of your gardening efforts!

Wendy Kates
08-13-2015, 02:32 PM
The orange flowers complement the oranges in the butterfly perfectly. The uncluttered background adds to the striking nature of the image. As Nancy predicted, the softness of the wing tips bother me slightly, but overall, it is beautiful!

David Cowling
08-14-2015, 02:41 PM
A very well executed capture of a beautiful butterfly. I really like the background and the flowers which seem to compliment the insect so well. Congratulations on your garden.

Steve Maxson
08-16-2015, 01:40 PM
This is a view that we seldom see captured - and you did it very well! Very nice light, colors, comp, and background. The soft wingtips are not bothering me. If mine, I would clone the bits of red flower peeking into the bottom of the frame - a minor point. :S3: This is very well done!