PDA

View Full Version : Who you looking at...

Geoff Newhouse
08-12-2015, 08:11 AM
I closely follow a bald eagle nest near Whitehorse. This past season I started documenting it in February during nest re-building through to 3 eaglets fledging in July. This was shot the day after fledge as the eaglets know me by now they are comfortable with me sitting within 20 feet of them when perched on a tree close to the nest. I shot this head shot of the second one to fledge.

This was shot handheld from kneeling position in available light and is cropped into horizontal from a vertical frame that included the whole eagle.
Canon 1DX, 600 f/4 IS II, 1.4TCIII, 840mm, f/5.6, ISO 800, 1/200s

Joseph Przybyla
08-12-2015, 09:40 AM
Striking image, Geoff. How wonderful you were able to gain the trust of these eagles. Thank you for sharing.

adrian dancy
08-12-2015, 10:31 AM
A superb detailed capture. I'd like to see tonal changes in the background but given circumstances that would not be possible. Good detailed close crop:)
Juveniles are often fearless. It's mummy and daddy I'd be worried about:w3

Jim Crosswell
08-12-2015, 11:41 AM
I like the eye contact, clean BG and tight composition. I might have considered increasing the ISO and going to f8 or more to get some more DOF if he was there for a while. Great job HH too. Very well done Geoff.

Lorant Voros
08-12-2015, 12:02 PM
Super detail, nice BG and unusual composition. I like it, though if you have room I'd add more below to have the tips of those beautiful feathers includes. Beautiful individual. Well done, Geoff.

Stu Bowie
08-12-2015, 01:21 PM
Hi Geoff, well done for getting up close and personal with this family. Great eye contact here, and just love the 'clean' eyes. I like the feather detail, and the Eagle pops nicely from your smooth BG. Well captured.

Bill Dix
08-12-2015, 02:22 PM
Terrific detail, and a great look he's giving you through those wonderfully clear eyes. Nice work following the nest and earning the juvie's trust (or curiosity).

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-13-2015, 02:26 AM
Wonderful shot mate! So glad you could get so close. They are awesome birds!
I like the detail you had achieved in the plumage and the face.
Very impressed!
TFS!

Satish Ranadive
08-13-2015, 09:05 AM
Magnificent portrait with beautiful talkative and innocent eyes. Great details on feathers and lovely composition.

Regards,
Satish.

Sidharth Kodikal
08-14-2015, 12:12 AM
Stunning details and an elegant portrait. Agree with Jim re. pushing ISO for more DOF, but you definitely have a killer image here.