PDA

View Full Version : DRAGON FLY

gary ellwein
08-11-2015, 05:03 PM
When I purchased my 600mm lens a few years ago, I never dreamed it would be used as a macro lens. While on a recent rather unsuccessful bird outing, I started shooting dragon flies. I was pleasantly surprised with the results. PP included blending a Shadow house bokeh texture using color mode and a touch of poster edge to enhance the wing detail.

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
08-11-2015, 10:14 PM
Gary,

Greetings. Wow, that is pretty cool. I really like the graphic look particularly in the wings. Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Cheryl Slechta
08-12-2015, 01:33 PM
Hi, Gary, the initial capture must have been tack sharp. I love the graphic look and the gradations of color in the background. Nice work:S3:

Jackie Schuknecht
08-12-2015, 03:12 PM
The poster edges has really brought out nice detail in the wings. And I like the head turn. The bg is simple and effective. Is it a heavy crop or did you use extension tubes? Not sure what the min. focus is on that lens.

Nancy Bell
08-12-2015, 03:39 PM
I also like the poster edge effect on the vein patterns in the wings! And the body looks shiny gold with the emphasis on the yellow/orange palette. Nice simple perch that goes well with the graphic look of the dragonfly and does not introduce any more colors or textures. The dragonfly seems a bit too centered as is. Maybe more of a vertical crop with the dragonfly back towards the right edge. You'd now have to see if that left too much empty space in front. Too cool that you could use your 600mm for this!

Judy Howle
08-12-2015, 05:05 PM
I really like this! The background is subtle and works perfectly with the dragonfly. The use of poster edges really makes it stand out!

gary ellwein
08-12-2015, 06:21 PM
Thanks to all for the look and comments. Jackie, The minimal focus distance is 15 feet 7 inches and the crop was approximately 25% of the original.

Mitch Carucci
08-15-2015, 12:56 PM
Wonderful crisp image against a soft pastel background. Really works well!