PDA

View Full Version : dahlia

Ron Conlon
08-10-2015, 08:09 PM
I posted several photos of this dahlia last year, and have gone back to the well. I like the dark rich colors and the symmetry.

I normally pick flowers shortly after they bloom to get them at their freshest. This dahlia starts out incredibly dark and the first unfurled petals bleach to a lighter shade, adding tonal variation, so I left it outside for about a week. As a result of exposure to the elements there was a fair bit pollen on the left side which was removed in PS with the scratch/dust spot healing tool. I left a blemish or two, less for moral reasons than exhaustion.

This is a stack of about 150 images, taken in an automated fashion with tethering software (Helicon Remote--I focus the first and last shots and it does the rest as I do other things) then stacked in Zerene by PMax (while I do yet other things).

Lit from the left with a remote diffused flash, black background, a whitish wall to the right which probably acts as a reflector, tripod.
D800E 200mm f6.3 1/200s iso100.

Diane Miller
08-10-2015, 08:29 PM
I remember this flower from before -- wonderful lighting! Heroic stacking!

I like the twist where the center is dimmer and the edge brighter -- makes you look longer. well done!

Nancy Bell
08-11-2015, 09:42 AM
Very dramatic and eye-catching! The varying shades of light and dark are exquisite. These fabulous results make me think harder now about working with the automated technique you have described.

Wendy Kates
08-11-2015, 09:20 PM
I also like the varied shades and tones. And it is sharp through and through! Very striking.

Steve Maxson
08-16-2015, 01:57 PM
Love the dramatic lighting - and the overall sharpness! Excellent work!