PDA

View Full Version : Used EOS 1D-X bought with earlier LP-E4 battery and LC-E4 charger

Dennis Zaebst
08-09-2015, 11:38 AM
I just bought and received a used, but like-new, 1D-X with fewer than 22,000 clicks. It is very clean and seems perfect in operation, and I got a great price on it.

This used 1D-X came with an earlier LP-E4 battery and LC-E4 charger, rather than the current LP-E4N and LC-E4N which ship with new 1D-X. I knew this when I bought it, and knew the older batteries and charger were compatible. I have also tested the older batteries in the 1D-X and it seems to operate perfectly.

My question is: is there any good reason to buy a new LP-E4N battery and LC-E4N charger? The price is steep, about $500 + for the combo. The alternative is to always carry with me a spare LP-E4 battery. I have four LP-E4 batteries and four LC-E4 chargers.

What am I giving up? I know the difference is about 2300 mAh vs. 2450 mAh, but how significant is this difference? I am not one to take more than a few hundred images in a day, and the difference in number of images is not a concern for me. But, for example, how much does the difference affect speed of autofocus or other functions?

arash_hazeghi
08-11-2015, 02:53 AM
Canon 1D-X was and is only sold with LP-E4N, I got the camera as soon as it came out with two extra batteries they were LP-E4N. The LC-E4N was the battery/charger for the old 1D4, it works with the 1DX but you will get fewer shots. The old battery is discontinued now so if you plan to buy more batteries for your camera you have to buy the new charger too but you say you have four batteries and four(?!) chargers so you're good.

both batteries are 11.1V so it makes no difference in servo drive.

http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2013/lp-e4n_battery_pack.htmlp

General note: never buy third party batteries or batteries from China on eBay, the may explode in your camera or during charging.

Dennis Zaebst
08-11-2015, 03:20 AM
Thanks Arash! You confirmed what I had thought from reading various other posts on the web. I'll just continue to use the LP-E4s for now.

Geoff Newhouse
08-25-2015, 09:02 AM
Old charger still charges the newer "N" batteries just fine so you won't have to buy a new charger (most overpriced junk I've ever seen). Many have tested over on FM Forums and find that even though Canon recommends new charger for new batteries the old non-N charger does fully charge the new battery if you buy more batteries in the future.

The battery differences are so minor and only made to satisfy new Japanese regulations...hardly any benefit...same with the "N" version of the LP-E6.

Dennis Zaebst
08-28-2015, 12:38 PM
Thanks Geoff! Great information. Can you provide a link to the FM Forums you mentioned in your post, as I do not know of this site?