PDA

View Full Version : Dahlia

John Robinson
08-08-2015, 02:42 PM
Dahlia done in the garden about an hour ago. Slight backlit by evening sun. messing about using the Nikor 70-300 vr as a close up-(which it isn,t !)

two stackedshots -CZM
D7100
400ISO
500sec @f7Crop from horizontal
Cheers
John R
PS Any one interested in 3D anaglyph shots(Red/Cyan glasses needed. I have stacks of nature stuff on file if anyone interested.

Nancy Bell
08-08-2015, 05:30 PM
This really pops out! Since the flower appears to be free-floating I would make the bkgd all black or have those spots encircling the entire flower. Just so the bkgd is the same everywhere since the focus is definitely the flower and a split-looking bkgd is distracting.

John Robinson
08-08-2015, 06:46 PM
Thanks nancy.
Good point. Will have a play later.
Cheers
John

Diane Miller
08-10-2015, 08:21 PM
I'd be inclined to go the other way -- ease off the reds and bring up a little more detail in the BG. Nice to have options, though.

The reds show as very saturated, without a lot of detail, but the only blown-out areas are the white petal tips. It is in sRGB but not tagged, so to see the histogram correctly, open it in PS and follow the prompt you should get for an untagged image, to assume sRGB and convert to your working space.

John Robinson
08-11-2015, 08:11 AM
Hi Diane
No PS only Paint shop pro and every part of the workflow from camera to pp to web is sRGB Thats all PSP can do ! Can't tag anything.

Saturation is just me- I like things pretty !! I;ll have a play or take another shot
Cheer s
John

Diane Miller
08-11-2015, 09:37 AM
Yes, I've finally got your workflow through my head, and am in awe of what you do with it! The PS comment was directed at your viewers -- some users with non-color-managed browsers, and especially those with the new wide-gamut monitors, will see the reds even stronger than they are, looking blown out. If they pull it into PS to look at the histogram and neglect to convert it to their working space (they may not even have the warning turned on that there is no profile) they will be seeing a histogram that looks like blown reds when they aren't. (Assigning the wrong color space gives an incorrect histogram.)